• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x40 SFL: A Few Tests (1 Viewer)

henry link

I recently had the opportunity to do a few quick tests of a local dealer's newly arrived Zeiss 8x40 SFL. Here are the results.

Distortion:

I brought along my usual target of small circles to test for angular magnification distortion as well as a grid pattern I view backwards through the objective lens to evaluate the rectilinear distortion. The left photo below shows moderate AMD distorting the circles as they approach the field edge on the right side of the image. BTW, the bright green at the field edge is sunlit leaves behind the target, not a binocular artifact.

The grid pattern (not photographed) showed moderately low pincushion with just a hint of a "mustache" reversal at about 6-8 degrees from the field edge. Overall a nicely managed distortion profile with a very low potential for panning disturbances like "rolling ball".

Off-axis Aberrations:

The distortion photo also inadvertently demonstrates to some extent the behavior of the off-axis aberrations of field curvature, astigmatism and lateral color. Notice how the circles near the edge are better focused along the axis between 9:00 and 3:00 than between 12:00 and 6:00. that's an indication of astigmatism and the color fringes of lateral color can also be seen running along the black lines of the circles. I also used an astigmatism target consisting of thin horizontal and vertical lines (not photographed). When the lines are placed at 6:00 on the field edge both will be simultaneously focused only if there is no astigmatism. In the presence of astigmatism only one set of lines at a time can be focused. To determine field curvature I find the midpoint between the two foci and compare it to the center focus point. Unlike some field flatteners that correct astigmatism much better than field curvature the field flattener of the SFL appears to leave about equal amounts of astigmatism and field curvature uncorrected, I would guess about 1.5-2 diopters of each. The best field flatteners leave only a small fraction of a diopter of each uncorrected. Lateral color begins at about 6-8º off-axis, but remains pretty low all the way to the edge. Overall I would call the off-axis corrections good to very good for astigmatism and field curvature and very good for lateral color.

Glare:

The next photo shows an internal reflection near the objective lens cell when the binocular was pointed toward a dark area of foliage below a bright sun about 40º above the binocular's line of sight. That lighting condition created a large bright area of veiling glare in the bottom half of the FOV. I expect there will be differences of opinion about glare in this binocular because this is a worst case example and the veiling could be essentially eliminated for me by simply adjusting the eyecup one step in from fully extended. I think most people will be able to find an eyecup length that works with their face to eliminate the glare, but perhaps a few won't.

Color Transmission:

Unfortunately the dealer had no SF models in stock, so I compared the color bias of the SFL to a Conquest 8x42. The photo below shows the view through the objective lenses of the Conquest and the SFL when placed eyepieces down on top of an iPad with a blank white screen. I hope it's obvious that the color transmission of the SFL comes much closer to matching the background color of the screen than the Conquest does.

Axial Aberrations and defects:

I used a Zeiss Tripler for an artificial star-test (Christmas tree ornament in the sun), which gave a magnification of 24x, about half as much as I would prefer for a star-test of a 40mm lens. The physical shortness of the SFL led me to be suspicious that both spherical aberration and longitudinal CA might be excessively high. At least at 24x that did not turn out to be true. Both SA and LCA appeared quite respectable by binocular standards and there were no nasty defects like astigmatism, coma, pinching or poorly made roof edges as can appear even in the most expensive binoculars. I also noticed that the image quality was quite good for a binocular boosted to 24x, so I think other specimens as good as this one can be counted on to produce nice sharp images at 8x.

Henry Link

Attachments

• DSC_0047.jpeg
    DSC_0047.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC_0043.jpeg
    DSC_0043.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC_0048.jpeg
    DSC_0048.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 223
WOW! Henry, you are awesome for doing this and kudos to your 'dealer' for letting you! LOL.

That said, as a non-optical-expert, I have little way of knowing how it compares to the obvious suspects and only by the relatively 'kind' tone of your post, can I assume that these are all 'acceptable observations'. Which is a long-winded way of saying that some editorial summary would be most welcome!
Thanks again!

I recently had the opportunity to do a few quick tests of a local dealer's newly arrived Zeiss 8x40 SFL. Here are the results.

Distortion:

I brought along my usual target of small circles to test for angular magnification distortion as well as a grid pattern I view backwards through the objective lens to evaluate the rectilinear distortion. The left photo below shows moderate AMD distorting the circles as they approach the field edge on the right side of the image. BTW, the bright green at the field edge is sunlit leaves behind the target, not a binocular artifact.

The grid pattern (not photographed) showed moderately low pincushion with just a hint of a "mustache" reversal at about 6-8 degrees from the field edge. Overall a nicely managed distortion profile with a very low potential for panning disturbances like "rolling ball".

Off-axis Aberrations:

The distortion photo also inadvertently demonstrates to some extent the behavior of the off-axis aberrations of field curvature, astigmatism and lateral color. Notice how the circles near the edge are better focused along the axis between 9:00 and 3:00 than between 12:00 and 6:00. that's an indication of astigmatism and the color fringes of lateral color can also be seen running along the black lines of the circles. I also used an astigmatism target consisting of thin horizontal and vertical lines (not photographed). When the lines are placed at 6:00 on the field edge both will be simultaneously focused only if there is no astigmatism. In the presence of astigmatism only one set of lines at a time can be focused. To determine field curvature I find the midpoint between the two foci and compare it to the center focus point. Unlike some field flatteners that correct astigmatism much better than field curvature the field flattener of the SFL appears to leave about equal amounts of astigmatism and field curvature uncorrected, I would guess about 1.5-2 diopters of each. The best field flatteners leave only a small fraction of a diopter of each uncorrected. Lateral color begins at about 6-8º off-axis, but remains pretty low all the way to the edge. Overall I would call the off-axis corrections good to very good for astigmatism and field curvature and very good for lateral color.

Glare:

The next photo shows an internal reflection near the objective lens cell when the binocular was pointed toward a dark area of foliage below a bright sun about 40º above the binocular's line of sight. That lighting condition created a large bright area of veiling glare in the bottom half of the FOV. I expect there will be differences of opinion about glare in this binocular because this is a worst case example and the veiling could be essentially eliminated for me by simply adjusting the eyecup one step in from fully extended. I think most people will be able to find an eyecup length that works with their face to eliminate the glare, but perhaps a few won't.

Color Transmission:

Unfortunately the dealer had no SF models in stock, so I compared the color bias of the SFL to a Conquest 8x42. The photo below shows the view through the objective lenses of the Conquest and the SFL when placed eyepieces down on top of an iPad with a blank white screen. I hope it's obvious that the color transmission of the SFL comes much closer to matching the background color of the screen than the Conquest does.

Axial Aberrations and defects:

I used a Zeiss Tripler for an artificial star-test (Christmas tree ornament in the sun), which gave a magnification of 24x, about half as much as I would prefer for a star-test of a 40mm lens. The physical shortness of the SFL led me to be suspicious that both spherical aberration and longitudinal CA might be excessively high. At least at 24x that did not turn out to be true. Both SA and LCA appeared quite respectable by binocular standards and there were no nasty defects like astigmatism, coma, pinching or poorly made roof edges as can appear even in the most expensive binoculars. I also noticed that the image quality was quite good for a binocular boosted to 24x, so I think other specimens as good as this one can be counted on to produce nice sharp images at 8x.

Henry Link
Thank you, Henry - good stuff, as usual from you!

Canip

Thanks Guys! I wish I had had more time and my usual home set-ups available for those tests. It would have been nice to be able to measure the resolution, do a higher magnification star-test and do everything else more carefully.

CA is the area where I'm least certain about my results. I neglected to bring along my usual CA target and I didn't have a reference binocular with known CA performance available.

As far as reaching some overall conclusions about the binocular I feel a bit like the blind man trying to imagine what an elephant looks like from feeling a few different parts. I would need the kind of experience Lee had in Scotland to know how it would all come together for me. All I can say at this point is that it did well on the particular tests I used, better than I was expecting.

Hi Peter,

That's degrees of apparent field. For the start of lateral color 6-8 degrees might seem too close to the center, but on the very high contrast black and white test target I use 4-6 degrees off-axis is a pretty typical distance for lateral color to first become visible as a narrow fringe. In bad cases it first appears virtually at the field center and can be quite vivid at 8 degrees off-axis.

At the store I didn't have a calibrated CA target, so my estimate could have been off.

Henry

Last edited:
Hi Henry,
Thanks for clarifying this aspect. In the specs the AFoV=60*, so 8* is about 13%, not a bad result as you say. As a side note, the fact that the AFoV is smaller than magxFoV suggests the existence of AMD and a possible rolling ball effect, but interestingly you have not found this to be a problem.
Peter

Yes, the AFOV is closer to the ISO calculation of 58.4º than the simple 64º. I guess I would attribute that to the moderately low pincushion over most of the field with only a slight reversal toward the edge that doesn't boost AMD very much near the edge. Among my binoculars the distortion profile of the SFL comes closest to resembling the Nikon 8x32 SE, which also avoids visible rolling ball by applying just enough moderately low pincushion to reduce the AMD to a harmless level.

Last edited:
Thanks Henry. Looks like the Zeiss is a pretty interesting binocular. I will definitely have a close look at the 8x42 when I have the chance to do so.

Hermann

Henry,
Thanks for this, #1. Gotta question. Its not actually about your post but one from another BFer couple days ago. Lemme see if I can pull this off.

Your pic from above, here:
1658285152768.png
Then this one posted by Kimmik in the thread "Swarovski EL Questions", his #5:
1658285249290.png
It seems, a fair guess Kimmik was following the precedent you've set with pictures like these over the years. But is there a difference worth noting? The Exit Pupil in yours, above, seems well centered in the ocular. The wee bit of light crescent at 6 oclock of the EP is I gather what you'd call evidence that glare exists, from whatever internal source that can be gleaned from an outside/in examination. You then very constructively commented, "I expect there will be differences of opinion about glare in this binocular because this is a worst case example and the veiling could be essentially eliminated for me by simply adjusting the eyecup one step in from fully extended. I think most people will be able to find an eyecup length that works with their face to eliminate the glare, but perhaps a few won't."

Looking at Kimmik's pic, it seems the binocular is tipped down and angled so that the Exit Pupil is appearing almost to the edge of the ocular at something like maybe 4-4:30. Again there is an oblong bit of glare at what seems 6 oclock just off the Exit Pupil, itself. He uses this pic to support his claim, "The NL hasn’t improved much on stray light baffling over EL."

From an experimental point is this, the correct way of doing this sort of examination? I cant imagine anyone so contorting themselves that they would be looking at an optical path like the one suggested in Kimmik's photo. If thats correct, and the goal is to demonstrate the possibility for glare shouldn't photos like this be more like yours?

Thanks

G'Tom

Henry,
Thanks for this, #1. Gotta question. Its not actually about your post but one from another BFer couple days ago. Lemme see if I can pull this off.

View attachment 1458852
View attachment 1458853
It seems, a fair guess Kimmik was following the precedent you've set with pictures like these over the years. But is there a difference worth noting? The Exit Pupil in yours, above, seems well centered in the ocular. The wee bit of light crescent at 6 oclock of the EP is I gather what you'd call evidence that glare exists, from whatever internal source that can be gleaned from an outside/in examination. You then very constructively commented, "I expect there will be differences of opinion about glare in this binocular because this is a worst case example and the veiling could be essentially eliminated for me by simply adjusting the eyecup one step in from fully extended. I think most people will be able to find an eyecup length that works with their face to eliminate the glare, but perhaps a few won't."

Looking at Kimmik's pic, it seems the binocular is tipped down and angled so that the Exit Pupil is appearing almost to the edge of the ocular at something like maybe 4-4:30. Again there is an oblong bit of glare at what seems 6 oclock just off the Exit Pupil, itself. He uses this pic to support his claim, "The NL hasn’t improved much on stray light baffling over EL."

From an experimental point is this, the correct way of doing this sort of examination? I cant imagine anyone so contorting themselves that they would be looking at an optical path like the one suggested in Kimmik's photo. If thats correct, and the goal is to demonstrate the possibility for glare shouldn't photos like this be more like yours?

Thanks

G'Tom
Exactly right in my experience. You can create all manner of problems with even very good binoculars by provoking them with incorrect eye position but CA and glare are the easiest to get in inaccurate read on.

Sometimes though the ergonomics will lend themselves to producing them more for some observers than others, try before you buy as usual!

I think it's nice to know how and why they happen as well as quantitative measures but also and most importantly real in the field reports from experienced binocular users to narrow down contenders.

I thought the sfl's were a very useable workaday binoculars from my brief experience with them, nothing spectacular or game changing (even weight wise) but still a thoroughly decent set of bins with no obvious vices.

Henry,

View attachment 1458852
View attachment 1458853

Thanks

G'Tom
Hi Tom,

A photo taken from far off-axis like that is useless for illustrating glare. The photo actually does show the internal reflection that causes glare in the NL, but it doesn't show whether the baffling behind the reflection is effective at blocking the light from the reflection from reaching the eye. Evaluation of the baffling requires a centered view with the axis of the eye's or the camera's optics coincident to the axis of the binocular's optics so that the baffling appears to be concentric to the exit pupil.

The photos in this link illustrate what happens when the camera is moved much less off-axis than that photo.

There needs to be some toleration in the baffling design for a small amount off-set since the alignment of the eye and a hand held binocular is seldom perfect, but no one could even look through a binocular at the extreme angle seen in that photo.

Henry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back