• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 VS Leica UHD Plus 8x32 (in doubts) (2 Viewers)

I do not believe that blackouts are inherent in any binocular.
I believe they are caused by misalignment of the exit pupils of the binocular with the pupils of the observer.
I used to believe otherwise and eventually found what you say to be true. Makes me feel cheated (by myself) that I'd missed many good views due to misalignment and think that since they have annoying caution stickers on everything else, they should put a caution sticker on the underside of binoculars explaining just this.

I do not believe that blackouts are inherent in any binocular.

I believe te are caused by misalignment of the exit pupils of the binocular with the pupils of the observer.

This can be due to either incorrect IPD or incorrect distance from the ocular, or both.

There! I said it. (right out loud)
Blackouts are my pet peeve in binoculars. It doesn't show up at all in specs or marketing info but it's critical. The tolerances for eye placement are far tighter in some binos that others. In some like the Swaro SLC 10x56 or the 7x42 EDG the view is rock-solid and it's almost impossible to generate blacking out. It makes you feel like looking out a window instead of being in a fight with unruly binoculars.

The Swaro's are big and heavy but they forced me to sell off all other 10x binos. The ease of eye placement makes them pure luxury to use. Just had them out for some coastal birding yesterday. Usually I only stop for 5-10 minutes per location so the heavy weight doesn't bother me.

It The tolerances for eye placement are far tighter in some binos that others.
I bought Nikon MHG 8x30 and this is nightmarish bino in term of eyes placement and glares. Thinking about buying Zeiss Conquest HD 8*32 instead.
Do you know anything about situation with blackouts and eyes placement in ZCHD 8*32???

I bought Nikon MHG 8x30 and this is nightmarish bino in term of eyes placement and glares. Thinking about buying Zeiss Conquest HD 8*32 instead.
Do you know anything about situation with blackouts and eyes placement in ZCHD 8*32???
The ZC do have a more comfortable eye box, but if your one of those that overly sensitive you could have issues there as well. For the ultimate comfort in a 32, I’d suggest the Swaro EL and the EDG.

I don’t use glasses and seem to have picked up a conquest with the 4-stop eye cups. No blackout issues with them fully extended, full field of view. It’s all about the ease of getting your eyes in the right place, I have others that it’s not else easy to get the spacing right and blackouts can occur.

Peter

No blackout issues with them fully extended, full field of view.

Peter
What if i prefer to use "brow-technique" to look through with eyecups in position "zero" (it very fast technique - just need to put your bino to your brows and that's it, no need to spend time to pull out the eyecups and thanks to that more probably you will not loose the moment of picture) - should i expect difficulties with eyes placing on ZCHD 8X32???

I've got both the 8x32 and 10x32 HD+ models and they're both so excellent, especially for those who want a very compact binocular with no blackout problems and great visual acuity.
What about brightness (in 10x32) and
-edge to edge sharpness (large or small sweetspot) in both????

How does uvhd+ in:
- brightness
-edge to edge sharpness (large or small sweetspot)???
The brightness of UV 10x32 HD (non-plus version) is enough for daytime use. It is not the brightest but very usable during daytime observations. However, it becomes a little dull when the darkness falls. For me, it has an immersive view. However, if I compare it with SFL 10x40, SEL is significantly brighter and has a better edge-to-edge sharpness. However, when I use UV, I don't feel the brightness or edge-to-edge sharpness is not enough.

That's what I've heard and I think in the case of the 8x30 MHG the eyecups are just too short for many people. A trivial-seeming flaw that becomes very non-trivial in use.

Don't know about the Conquest - I do know that Zeiss makes longer eyecups for the Conquest, so if that's what you need you're in good shape there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back