• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A rank beginner in New York, New York (1 Viewer)

Hello,

Wednesday, the Lake was mostly open water. So it was no surprise to see shovelers and hooded mergansers, after a long absence.

This morning, the temperature was -9ºC, and tomorrow morning, it will be colder. I decided not to go to the Park.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Hello all,

Eleven days, ago, we had about sixteen cm. of snow. By last Sunday, only the main paved footpaths were cleared, so I did not venture on my favourite footpaths because of ice and snow. I did walk around the Lake in Central Park where I spotted an occasional visitor, an American black duck, sitting on the ice of the mostly frozen Lake.
Today, I had to go from the Upper West Side of Manhattan to the Church of the Heavenly Rest, on Fifth Avenue, to hear a Schubert mass, performed by friend's chorus. Public transport is poor on Sunday, so I walked the three km., with a planned walk along the southern end of the Reservoir. My biggest surprise was seeing an odd looking pigeon on West 82nd Street, sitting on a balcony, near the Park. Its chest was reddish but it was too big to be an American robin. Then I noticed the rest of its colouring and thought it was something else. I pulled out my 8x20 binocular, carried for the concert, and immediately thought that it was an American kestrel. A bird watching acquaintance came up the street with his son, confirmed my identification. He went on to say that the kestrel was the most "beautiful hawk," to be seen and that this one probably had a nest on Broadway, nearby. I thought that I might have seen one, years, ago, but this was my first definite sighting.
Truly, this bird made my day.
The Reservoir had a a little ice, but the path was slushy and muddy, making a difficult walk when I was nearing my meeting with my singing friend. I did manage to see some buffleheads swimming about.
I was happy to have had that little 8x20, proving that the best binocular is often the one you have.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Aren't they beautiful! I often see a pair of kestrels flying around calling in the summer on W57th Street, and used to see them around Union Square when we lived down there, too, but generally over the buildings, not the park. They seem to adapt fairly well to the City. It is interesting because they are declining generally in the Northeast. They are one of my very favorite birds. I've had a young oriole visiting my feeders for about a month now, every day.

Jacquot,

A young oriole, already, is very good. Only last Sunday, I noticed snow drops in Central Park.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have been very busy, for a long time. Yesterday, I got to Central Park to receive word of an invasion of kinglets. I saw a golden crowned kinglet, high in a tree. This is a life bird for me, as the ruby crowned kinglets are a bit more common. Aside from a red bellied woodpecker, the only other bird of interest was a great egret, which I thought was rather early.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hello,

I should mention that I saw a black crowned night heron, on Monday. I thought that was rather early for that species to turn up in New York City.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Hi Arthur Hope that your lack of posts from NYC does not mean a lack of birds! Have the warblers started moving through yet ? I am going to be in New York next friday 7th May for a few days

Thanks Jos sounds like i should have gone this week hope some will still be there

I think it is still rising to its peak, so I think you'll have an excellent time. Will you get chance to visit Jamaica Bay too (easy access even via the underground system, with a bit of a walk at the end)

Jos is entirely right, the park is just getting its first flush of spring warblers right now.
Cerulean, Blackburnian, Bay Breasted and Cape May among the roughly 2 dozen species reported since the start of the weekend.
White Faced Ibis reported at JBNWR, along with the usual.
You'll get some great birds!

Hi Dave,
Welcome to NYC!
The WF Ibis was still reported there May 1. Another was seen at Cape May this weekend.
Reports indicate that it is not an easy tick, as the bird is at a distance, not easily picked out from the fairly numerous Glossy Ibis and often obscured by grasses. But the warblers are in full flow, the vireos are ramping up and you'll have a great time birding.

Hi Arthur Hope that your lack of posts from NYC does not mean a lack of birds! Have the warblers started moving through yet ? I am going to be in New York next friday 7th May for a few days

Hello Dave,

I have had a busy calendar, often taking my father to visit a clinic or a physician. Then when I can spare the time, rainy weather discourages me.
My trip, last week, to Central Park was disappointing.

I can report that a gray catbird turned up at my window.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Blackburnians are so wonderful to see. Real treasures. I've been hearing black and whites in the neighborhood but haven't been able to get into the woods yet. The cat bird showed up Saturday. We had a nest last year in view from the house, maybe again? The daily serenades are divine.

Hello,

I was out, yesterday and today, in unseasonable cool weather, 8 and 9ºC. I managed to see American redstart, [URL="http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=199969"]baltimore orioles[/URL] and a northern parula. Today's highlight were a spotted sandpiper, whose spots were not very prominent and an unidentified waterthrush, which was most likely a northern waterthrush, both at a great distance.

Another thread was devoted to a puzzling video about the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back