• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spitzbergen (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

did anyone travel to these islands ?
How is the weather conditions ( could is clear, but how is the chance for sun ) ?
Chance to see Polarbear should be 90 %, how is about other animals like Walrus ?
How is the best way to travel ( is there an recommended agency ) ?

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter, there is quite a bit of information on Opus here which will keep you going till someone comes on with some specific info for you.

D

Hello Delia Todd,

thank You for the informations.
This location seems very good.
It seems travel with boat is the best possibiliy.

Best regards
Dieter

Hello,

did anyone travel to these islands ?
How is the weather conditions ( could is clear, but how is the chance for sun ) ?
Chance to see Polarbear should be 90 %, how is about other animals like Walrus ?
How is the best way to travel ( is there an recommended agency ) ?

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter,
I spent 3 weeks in Longyearbyen as part of work 4 years ago and can heartily recommend that you do not think of going in the winter months - 24 hours of darkness and, with the wind chill, temperatures down to -60C at times. It's too cold to spend any amount of time outdoors although skidoo hire is available. The only wildlife I saw was the local reindeer although the week before I arrived they did have a polar bear wander through the town that they had to scare off by buzzing it with an aeroplane - when walking in the area you have to, as a safety precaution, take a rifle with you.

That having been said, it's a totally amazing area which, I'm certain, would be well worth a trip in the summer months - they do have local companies that can arrange trips which would probably be a lot cheaper than arranging externally.

One of the attractions of Svalbard is that the island is duty free so do not have to pay mainland Norway prices for drinks B :) and, because of this, you get frequent arrivals of beautiful Norwegian women for hen parties;);).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back