• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski eyepiece problem? (1 Viewer)

SteveClifton

Could anyone with a new style Swarovski ATS scope (any model) please comment on the fit of their eyepieces to the scope body.

On mine (ATS 80HD) with the 30X SW eyepiece fitted the locking pin in the scope body doesn’t lock into the small hole in the base of the eyepiece (In fact it doesn’t even come close-you can clearly see a gap of around 1mm in the photo). This isn’t necessarily a problem, but clearly the function of the locking pin is wasted on my unit.

With the zoom fitted things are slightly better, but the pin only just engages in the small hole in the eyepiece base. On occasions I have found when zooming (the zoom is quite stiff) that it is possible for the eyepiece to unlock itself, with the risk that it could potentially fall out. Luckily I have always noticed before this happens, but it raises the question should I have to worry about this happening on a scope costing this much?

I emailed Swarovski Uk the other day, who said there could be a fault with either the 30x eyepiece or the scope body, and possibly also the zoom. The only way to find out for sure is to send the whole lot back to Swarovski UK, who would in turn return it to the Austrian HQ, with a possible turn around of 4-6 weeks (though perhaps less).

Obviously I don’t want to be without my scope for this long, but if there is a problem I’d like it fixing under warranty.

Has anyone else found this problem, or are they all slightly different? (ie; variable construction standards).

Steve

Attachments

• Swarovski.jpg
    Swarovski.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 262
Hello Steve,

I have just looked at my scope and I a small gap between the scope body and eye piece. This is not a problem for me. My 30 eye piece twists into position and there is an audible click as the securing pin moves into position. I hope this message helps you. Gareth

That's very helpful Gareth. As I thought yours seems to be 'normal' whereas mine clearly isn't. I might well take you up on your offer but will see what responses I get from other users first.

Cheers

Steve

On mine both the 30x and 20-60x lock firmly in place. You can't remove either without releasing the lock button.

I assume you're lining up the arrows before screwing the eyepiece in. When the eyepiece is off, the pin should stick straight out and you can depress it with your finger. When it's on, there should be less than a millimeter gap.

A friend also had a problem with the pin engaging and had to send both scope and eyepiece back. He's still not clear what happened, but Swarovski typically did the right thing.

Steve

I assume you're lining up the arrows before screwing the eyepiece in. When the eyepiece is off, the pin should stick straight out and you can depress it with your finger. When it's on, there should be less than a millimeter gap.

Yes Steve, I'm doing everything you say, line up the arrows, twist the eyepiece in tight, but still the pin comes nowhere near fitting into the hole in the eyepiece. In the photo attached in my original post, the pin is shown in the 'up' position. It won't reach any nearer than this to the eyepiece.

Thanks all for your comments. Looks like I'll have to be without my scope for a while. The last time something like this happened and I was without a scope, we had a LB Dowitcher on my local patch. The original finder has since lost his notes and no-one has any decent digiscoped shots to get it through BBRC!

I feel another local rarity coming on!

Steve

Swaovski Eyepiece Fit

Steve,

I have the Swarovski ATS 80 with the 20-60 zoom, and agree with those above - it clicks into place solidly and has never moved. It looks like there's something wrong.

You don't have to be without a scope while it goes back to Austria. Talk to your dealer, and get them to ask Swarovski if they will loan you a replacement while your scope is away. They lent me a 65 body while they fixed the focus ring on my 80. They sent the loan scope to the dealer and I swapped it out there.

It helps if you can determine at the dealer (or from other local birders e.g Gareth) if it's the eyepiece or the body at fault, then you may not have to return both (and similarly Swarovski only has to find a body or an eyepiece).

Regards

Mark

Could anyone with a new style Swarovski ATS scope (any model) please comment on the fit of their eyepieces to the scope body.

be a fault with either the 30x eyepiece or the scope body, and possibly also the zoom. The only way to find out for sure is to send the whole lot back to Swarovski UK, who would in turn return it to the Austrian HQ, with a possible turn around of 4-6 weeks (though perhaps less).

Obviously I don’t want to be without my scope for this long, but if there is a problem I’d like it fixing under warranty.

Steve

I had the old 80 scope which became faulty. ie Part of the mechanism that keeps the eye piece attached to the body fell off. Was told what you were but indicated that I couldn't be without my scope for that long. I needed it for WEB counts. Once they received my scope I was sent a replacement and when mine was back (repaired for free under guarantee) I actually went to their offices in Surrey and did a swap again. Wanted to see a bird at Staines anyway. Was very impressed with Swarovski for sorting the problem.

Joan

Joan and Mark, thanks for both of your replies. It's worth knowing that Swarovski will loan scopes to customers while their own are being repaired, in fact I think I've heard of this happening to someone else-perhaps an old post on this forum.

I've just e-mailed them to say it would be a problem being without it for so long, and was angling for them to suggest it themselves hopefully. Armed with this knowledge I will certainly ask them directly about borrowing one if they don't make the offer themselves.

I will keep you posted about how this turns out.

Steve

I finally contacted Swarovski UK as I've been off work this week. They sent a replacement scope to my local dealer within 2 days, so mine is off to Austria to be sorted out!

I will report back on the outcome when it comes back,

Steve

I've just picked my scope up from my local dealer in Harrogate, and the problem has been solved. Both of my eyepieces now lock in place with a satisfying 'click', which is reassuring as I bought a DCA (for zoom) recently, and almost lost it and the zoom eyepiece + camera a couple of times recently as I wasn't aware I had inadvertantly unlocked the eyepiece when zooming with the adapter in place on the scope.

Much happier now, good old Swarovski!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back