• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alternative to Swarovski tripod head (1 Viewer)

I’ve read various threads and pages about alternatives to the Swarovski head, most recently this page (which I didn’t want to derail): Swarovski ATS 80 25-50 W vs 20-60 vs ATX 85

so I get that the Swarovski is just a rebadged version and who doesn’t want to save a few quid (I’m looking at a BTX with 85mm objective).
my understand is that by default the Swarovski scope comes with a foot that clicks into the head very quickly and very securely. I like quick and secure. If I went for the Gitzo, would I then have to screw the scope to the head or would that still be able to use the foot (my current understanding is that the foot is proprietary Swarovski)? @vestobuteo seems to imply that skipping the foot is a good option (apologies if I’ve misread/understood that - not trying to put words in anyones mouth) but I’m not sure why.

could someone clarify?

thanks

The newest version of the 85 (and all objectives) has an Arca-Swiss type foot that can be used in any Arca-Swiss compatible clamp or head. If you’re buying the objective used I would make sure of which foot type you’re getting. I believe they switched it about 4-5 years ago if I remember correctly. The older foot was made to clamp into the original Swarovski CTH (Compact Tripod Head) and was NOT compatible with Arca-Swiss. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi,

it should be noted though that all heads come with a fitting plate that you can screw on to any optics with a 1/4" socket - which all (including Swaro) tend to have...

Joachim

Thanks @papasula , that’s great info, thanks. Looks good to me.
Thanks Joachim; whilst I wouldn’t want to have to screw a foot/baseplate on each time, I guess once it’s screwed on I’d. or need to remove it.

I’m buying new (really just because of availability and support) so it doesn’t look like an issue.

Thanks for your help both

Unfortunately, the quick-release plate of the Gitzo GHF-2W lacks an anti-rotation pin.
That, however, is not a problem if the BTX 85 foot is Arca-Swiss compatible.
The safety retention pin on the head itself, which prevents the scope falling out if the clamp is slightly loosened, also fits the Swarovski scope foot.
See post nos. 5, 6 & 7 here: Novoflex TrioPod Modular Tripod System

John

I stuck my BTX-85 onto a PMG PX6 QR-plate which sits on a Gitzo GHF2W head. The long plate is light, solid, has stops and allows for good balancing of the scope. Cheaper solution than the Swaro head. I like Swaro optics - and Gitzo tripods/heads. Not vice versa ;)

@amadeus: First thing to establish is whether BTX 85 is balanced in itself. (Ignatius' post seems to suggest that it isn't - but maybe he can clarify for your benefit). If it isn't, then you will need to use a plate to balance it.

I have the 85mm on the swaro rail, and the 95mm with a Kirk long rail plate (6" or so I believe). Truth to be told, the Kirk is indeed a better plate, as it is more adjustable, lighter and cheaper. Has also a supplied stop/anti-twist bar and a QR hook-up
Mounting it on a gimbal head makes everything to achieve proper balance, if switching from a STX to BTX piece - don't get plates less than 6"

@amadeus: First thing to establish is whether BTX 85 is balanced in itself. (Ignatius' post seems to suggest that it isn't - but maybe he can clarify for your benefit). If it isn't, then you will need to use a plate to balance it.
I found the BTX 85 not to be balanced.
Presumably that is down to the 85 obejective module being quite a bit older than the BTX ocular module. When the objective modules were developed for the ATX/STX ocular modules, the feet were presumably placed so that the combined item was relatively well balanced. Along comes that beautiful whopper of a BTX - and all the ergonomics are down the plughole.
Enter the BR balance rail. I bought it in the belief that it would indeed help, but found it to be an expensive waste of money instead. The sliding support at the back underneath the eye module seemingly fits tightly under said module, but I always found it to still wobble relatively freely after a day. This in turn lead me to find the true fulcrum, measure it out and purchase a proper simple (long-lens) QR-plate to remedy the problem once and for all. The PMG plate has a scale so I just need to remember 2 numbers (net and with the ME 1.7) for quick deployment. As a bonus, the plate fits even when the scope is swaddled in the Outdoor Vision SOC, which I find to be not only cheaper than, but also superior to, the Swaro one.

FWIW: For transport I use a Pelicase 1510 [plate attached] or a Rim County MFG soft carry case (says 95 mm but fits the 85 just fine, plate and SOC attached).

Last edited:
Rim County MFG soft carry case
that's a nice case - I have the Marsupialgear case but does not fit well with the long plate attached. otoh, it's less voluminous - meaning fits like something between the SOC and that case/bag
PMG makes nice plates too indeed

btw, this plate seems to a good support and fit for the BTX combo - I might give it a go

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in replying- I somehow missed the email notification.
Lots of great info here - thanks.

Some of the equipment mentioned above doesn’t seem to be readily available here in the uk which is a shame; ideally I’d like to buy the bits all from a single outlet but that looks unlikely.

In terms of @Ignatius comment about the PMG PX6 QR-plate; looking at it (as it’s Arca-Swiss compatible it’d fit on the Swarovski head as well I guess.
I’ll have a better look at the Kirk plate @nwphil mentions as well.

In the grand scheme of things a few 10s of £ won’t make a significant difference to the overall cost and right now I’m wondering if the BTX, 85mm, tripod, head and balance rail will too big to carry it everywhere (and if I don’t carry it, there’s no point in having it); I was thinking BTX because I get on better with bins than a single eyepiece but it would also allow me to go to a ATX at some point in the future. I am hoping to try one out on Saturday so can consider then.
The difficulty is that things only become apparent having lived with something for a while so hearing real work experiences like this above is great - thanks

Many thanks all.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back