• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diurnal bat...in February? (1 Viewer)

Imaginos

For a couple of days I've been seeing a bat flying outside where I work at about dusk time. I assumed it was a Noctule, given the time of day & the fact it seemed to be flying with very shallow wing-beats.

Today I have seen it flying at midday, this strikes me as rather unusual. There is a largish swarm of chironomids about at the moment which I assume it is feeding on. It is dark and has large, but not long, ears and seems to have a large tail too.

Anyone have any thoughts?

That does sound unusual, but I guess if the weather was mild, and he was feeling a bit peckish, he took a chance.
Noctules have a distinctive wedge shaped tail. Are you in the south of England, in which case Serotine may be another possibility?

Not unusual: infrequently noticed but definitely usual. I've seen midday Noctules a few times on mild days such as we are enjoying at the moment.

When they are high and distant they can really throw you till you click that you're watching bats not birds!

John

Thanks for the responses, Having had a look at a few picture I'm pretty sure it was a noctule. Are bats tending to come out of hibernation earlier with the warmer winters?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back