• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Sparrow Where He Shouldn't Be (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hello Forum! :)

For the past week or so, I've been hosting a juvenile white crowned sparrow in my yard. Seems to me, he should be a long ways from here at this time of year, right?? Shouldn't he be in the central to southern States by now?
He's all alone but looks very healthy and he's eating very well. He's usually the first one here in the morning, sitting on my front step and chirping to let me know it's time to fill the platform feeder for his breakfast! ;)
He's quite adorable and I certainly don't mind having him here for the winter... I'm just concerned about him and have no idea why he got left behind. I have never in my life seen a sparrow at this time of year before. Last winter, I had two pine siskins spend the winter here so who knows??
The grosbeaks don't like him much and chase him away all the time but he's found someone else he can bully... the chickadees... he's bigger than they are! ;)

Attachments

• WC Sparrow CU,Dec15'03.jpg
    WC Sparrow CU,Dec15'03.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 106
Hi Tammie.
nice looking sparrow, who knows he may just stick around for the winter! don`t know anything about their migration so can`t help you there.
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back