• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The best binoculars (2 Viewers)

I think your recommendation of a Leica UVHD+ 12x50 for a 60-year-old man is non-sense. There are very few people that can hold 12x steady without a tripod. I know I can't begin to hold one steady, and I would never in my right mind recommend one.
Most people can do more than you can, apparently. Quit insulting people by saying what they can or can't do, just because you can't.
I wouldn't want to hurt an old man like you. Master Kan is a Dojo Master, grasshopper.
Trying to appear knowledgeable again by mixing Chinese, Japanese, and all the while acting tough while not even being able to lift a 12x50!!! LoL!

If it were me....

I'd get my Dad a really nice pair of 8X42 or 10X42 binoculars. I'd probably go the Swarovski EL, Zeiss SF, or Leica Ultravid HD+ route. THEN after using those for a while, evaluate what other binocular needs/wants may be.
Yes, me too.

Not to divert this thread, but IS bins at 16x42 and 18x50 have a teeny-weeny exit pupil.
Any comments on the haptics and use of those, with an EP less than 3mm?

Yes, me too.

Not to divert this thread, but IS bins at 16x42 and 18x50 have a teeny-weeny exit pupil.
IS binoculars are not nearly as handicapped by a smaller EP because the IS system keeps the EP centered over the retina of the eye, and they are quite comfortable for eye placement, and in the daytime even an EP as small as 2 mm is surprisingly bright.

I have used IS binoculars like the Canon 10x20 IS, and they are way more comfortable for eye placement than a traditional binocular with the same size EP. The Sig Sauer Zulu 6 10x30 and 16x42 IS binoculars are very bright and have very easy placement considering their relatively small EP, and I suspect even the Sig Sauer Zulu 6 HDX 20x42 would be very comfortable and usable in all but very low light conditions.

Last edited:
I would never recommend…
No, you would never recommend for anyone to do anything not sanctioned by you. Everything you’ve posted shows that you don’t care what the OP is interested in and that you think people are wimps who can’t choose for themselves.
You’ve read NOTHING of what anyone has to say other than to use as a jumping point for calling them weak and stupid.
Forum would be much calmer, but also much better without your arrogant posts. But then you probably already know that and yet continue anyway.

Now, go back and actually READ the first post so you can better have a chance at even understanding what the conversation is about.

P.S. Stop with the ludicrous italics too. LoL

Thank you so much for all the replies! A lot of info to take in but hopefully I'll figure it out.

I don't know if it was a joke, but my dad obviously can hold two kilos.. He's not crippled lol but a buff 6'2 red headed viking.
Anyways, thank you all for being so helpful:)

I find it really difficult to believe that you actually posted this nonsense. It’s people like you always inventing urban myths, muddying the water and never of nearly as much help as a hindrance.
I’m sorry but I’m going to agree…. (With Dennis). Although I’m relatively fit and no medical issues, I find a notable difference between even 8 and 10x. I’ve tried holding small scope steady at 15x and that’s impossible.
Maybe with forehead rest… maybe…

Yeah, it's probably worth a bit of research before putting down that kind of money. I'd say that you came to the right place to ask, though; most people here seem to really know that they're talking about and have the experience to back it up.

What's the use case here — are we talking on-the-go hiking or chilling out in one spot at the cabin? Either way, I should probably note that two kilos will not be pleasant to hold for very long, no matter how fit the holder is. :p

He uses them to underline how special his posts are. I think everyone should use them, so his posts don't stand out as much :ROFLMAO: .
Ha, ever seen the hammerforum.com parody? It's a classic on photography sites, but applies to every forum — and this one is certainly no exception:

I actually don’t think it’s weight as much as just ability to hold steady. Recently had a conversation with @Trinovid and I agreed with point that in target shooting, for instance, mass can help steady your hold. Although I prefer to hump my new 8x30SFLs, I think I’m steadier with my Noctivids. But I notice slight shake with 10x, when comparing otherwise identical binos.

I’d go along with Chuck on this one, a good 8x42 or 10x42 will be an excellent cover all the bases, all around binocular. After leaning if there is something else you want in an optic, you go from there. His suggestions are also excellent, I’d ad the Leica Noctivids, my favorites in 8x42, and the Vortex UHD is also a phenomenal Binocular , and is much the sleeper in this group of fine optics.

No, you would never recommend for anyone to do anything not sanctioned by you. Everything you’ve posted shows that you don’t care what the OP is interested in and that you think people are wimps who can’t choose for themselves.
Or recommend a binocular that he won’t be selling in the days or weeks to come.
You’ve read NOTHING of what anyone has to say other than to use as a jumping point for calling them weak and stupid.
I think he does it to get a rise out of people , like a girlie man 🤭. I had an uncle like that a while back , I had to beat him up, just kidding he fell down , really 😏.
Forum would be much calmer, but also much better without your arrogant posts. But then you probably already know that and yet continue anyway.
I kind of get a kick out of him , he amuses me, like a circus clown, he makes me laugh. 😂.
Now, go back and actually READ the first post so you can better have a chance at even understanding what the conversation is about.
I really don’t think he reads through the posts , I think he just glances at the text and then shoots off some thoughts that apply in some way to help a future sale. Like a salesman who doesn’t listen.
P.S. Stop with the ludicrous italics too. LoL
I really do think there’s a drinking problem here 😵‍💫.

Paul

Personally, I used the 12x45 Komz for ten years with no problems at all for long periods.

Before that a selected 12x50 Japanese Ultraview and also sometimes the Minolta 12x50 Activa.

I found the heavier 12x56 Nikon more restricting.

This was in my 60s and 70s.

In my 40s I used the 2.5 kg selected 1975 Celestron 20x80 hand held with no problem for twenty minutes at a time but this was for astronomy and being elevated the arm strain is less at an angle.

However from about 1999 I used the Canon IS binoculars.
First the 12x36 MK1, which is heavy but very good optically.
Then the 10x30 IS, which easily resolved better than non IS binoculars.
Even the Canon 8x25 IS is superior in detecting detail than most any non IS binocular, including top makes.

From 2000 I have used the Canon 18x50IS and still use it for observations requiring fine detail, such as Jupiter's moons.
But I don't use it for extended periods, although I could in my 60s.

Norwegians are generally tough.
In my 6th floor hotel room in Norway the fire escape was a long knotted thick rope that one threw out of the window and climbed down.

I could not keep up with young Norwegian women who are used to walking up and down mountains as normal.
This was in my twenties.

But for maximum detail at distance I would think the Canon 18x50 IS or 15x50 IS would be good, although only water resistant.
The measured field of the Canon 18x50 IS is 3.85 degrees. I find this quite adequate.
But if glasses are worn the field may be less.
The Zeiss 20x60S is around 3 degrees.

The Kite 16x42 or 20x42 might be good but I haven't used them.

Regards,
B.

Yes, me too.

CharleyBird,

No diversion at all especially since the OP is asking for input on high mag bins suitable for hand held use. Several years ago I tried a friend's Canon IS 18x50 for a day on the beach. They are big heavy beasts, but IMO a top contender in this specific category. Smaller and lighter than the Fuji 14x40 and I actually preferred the handling of the 18x50 versus the Canon 10x42 IS for example. The 2.7 mm EP of the 18x was not a problem for me.

Mike

You appear to be saying that when my retina/eye moves slightly , the IS moves the EP to my new retina position ?
No. Your hands are what shakes the most when you are holding binoculars up to your eyes and as they shake the EP moves and misses your retina creating black-outs and discomfort. With an IS binocular, the EP is stabilized, and it doesn't move as much and consequently stays centered over your retina with less black-outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back