• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix 4500 question about using Manual mode (1 Viewer)

Joe A.

I use Manual mode quite often. Am wondering why the camera won't let me set the aperture to "any" setting? Ex: The shutter is, say, 1/125th and the aperature f5.0 and for whatever reason I want to set the aperture at f2.6. Why won't the camera allow me to do it? It might go below 4, but at some point it won't allow a lower (wider) aperature setting. I can turn the Command Dial forever but it won't go to a wider aperature. Yet, in Auto I see very wide aperture settings. I thought -- perhaps incorrectly --- that in Manual mode I could independentally control shutter and aperature settings?

Joe A.

Don't forget the aperture value is restricted by the camera's zoom...at full zoom on a cp4500 you can't get lower than f5.1 it works it's way down from there as you back off on the camera zoom until you get to full wide angle where the f# should be f2.6
Andy

Andy Bright said:
Don't forget the aperture value is restricted by the camera's zoom...at full zoom on a cp4500 you can't get lower than f5.1 it works it's way down from there as you back off on the camera zoom until you get to full wide angle where the f# should be f2.6
Andy

Hi Andy,

I didn't realize that -- learned something new today. Thanks, Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back