• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small Book with clear comparisons (1 Viewer)

boznia

Sorry if this question has already been answered.

The books I currently own are : Shell Easy Bird Guide, Collins, Collins Gem Birds ( smallest available ID book ).

I find that although the Shell tells you similar looking birds for each, it does not tell you the distinguishing features for each similar bird. Obviously, you can look at the plates yourself, but if these are not brilliant you want to be told. Its the things like the upturned bill on the one godwit but not the other - the kind of things you get learn from others rather than, it seems, books.

Is the answer to my prays out there? or something close to it.

My parents have an RSPB book which fails to tell you the size of the birds ( this seems crazy to me ).

Hope you can help, and thanks for your time,

Ben

I've got a few field guides which I refer to but my favourite, and the one which is ALWAYS in my rucksack is the Collins Guide......it's the best and clearest one available!

GILL XXX

The obvious answer is the great Macmillan Guide to Bird Identification by Vinnicombe, Tucker and Harris. This book is broken into small, clear identification papers covering confusion species (which are very nicely illustrated). It covers a lot of rare stuff but there are also sections on Song and Mistle Thrush, Marsh and Willow Tits, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff, Godwits, Grebes etc. It doesn't cover everything, just the more tricky things. Sadly, as has been reported elsewhere on this forum, it's now rather hard to get hold of. Time for a reprint I think (or maybe a revision?).

Out of the current crop of available field guides, I agree with Gill - it's gotta be the Collins (just don't let anyone see you using it. A big "no no" apparently!).

Well the Collins is obviously the most comprehensive and generally brilliant but.....

if you are new to birding or are a patch birder etc then a more basic guide might be an idea.
I like the RSPB handbook of British Birds or The Pocket Guide to Birds of Britain & North West Europe

pduxon said:
Well the Collins is obviously the most comprehensive and generally brilliant but.....

if you are new to birding or are a patch birder etc then a more basic guide might be an idea.
I like the RSPB handbook of British Birds or The Pocket Guide to Birds of Britain & North West Europe

I thought you'd mention another there Pete! ;)

SimonC said:
I thought you'd mention another there Pete! ;)
hah hah

The Mitchell Beazley is a good book but it doesn't include sizes etc etc.

I would also commend the MacMillan.

CJW said:
Collins (just don't let anyone see you using it. A big "no no" apparently!).

Now, what's the story on this one? Why should using the Collins be a "no no"? Usually, birders, as far as I have got to know them, are pretty tolerant people.
Or is that only true for the Continent?
Sounds as if there are a bunch of snobs out there somewhere now?

Last edited:
there is a bit of a thing here about not using fieldguides in the field....maybe not so much today though....the reasoning is that you should know most of what you look at already, and if you don't you should take notes at the time and refer to books later

I do use a notebook and no guide but for no real reason just becuase I'm a lazy git and can't be bothered to carry anything 'cept my bins and notebook half the time

Hi Swissboy. In Britain you're supposed to know you're birds before you ever lift a pair of binoculars. That's the theory, though few sensible birders are actually that pedantic. Unfortunately, however, you do come across the occasional birder who likes to flaunt his snobbishness.

Jason

Bluetail said:
Hi Swissboy. In Britain you're supposed to know you're birds before you ever lift a pair of binoculars. That's the theory, though few sensible birders are actually that pedantic. Unfortunately, however, you do come across the occasional birder who likes to flaunt his snobbishness.

Jason

Thanks for bringing me up to date on this! Maybe, I have an advantage as a foreigner, then, as there is always the excuse that I have to look up the names?

In fact, however, I often don't carry a book simply for reasons of weight. Problem is, I often forget the notebook.

Last edited:
I don't know that boznia's question has been answered properly yet. The thread's entitled "Small book with clear comparisons" and everyone's recommending Collins, the Macmillans and the like. I reckon Pete got nearest with the Kightley, Madge and Nurney and maybe the RSPB book (though I don't have that one).

It's probably out of print now, but a another relatively clear guide is John Gooder's Kingfisher/Larousse field guides. There was one just for Britain and also an expanded version covering Britain and Europe. It's OK for beginners though it's not long before a dedicated birder will notice shortcomings. I only mention it because it also appeared in a small format similar to the Gem guides. It does include sizes.

Anyone know what the Hayman/Hume Pocket Guide is like?

Jason

Thanks Jason, does anyone else recommend the Kightley, Madge and Nurney book 'Pkt Guide to the Birds of Britain & North-West Europe'.

I must have a look at this one.

Ben

Hi Boznia,

The Kightley and Madge book is by far the best book for beginners in my opinion. It is fairly comprehensive without being daunting, authoritative without being too technical (and I get a mention in the acknowledgments ;) ;) )

Darrell

Bluetail said:
Unfortunately, however, you do come across the occasional birder who likes to flaunt his snobbishness.

Jason

Ooh! Good job I'm not paranoid! For the record my Collins is always in the car!

The only problem with the Kightley is it doesn't list "confusion" sepcies but fits nicely in the pocket.

Another to consider is Jonahtan Elphick's Birdwatcher's Handbook. I'm not a big fan of some of the illustrations.

The Gooders is available as a Brit only guide, my local bookshop has it.

CJW said:
Ooh! Good job I'm not paranoid! For the record my Collins is always in the car!
Well I've seen twitchers put down less experienced birders once or twice - but I'm sure it couldn't have been you on those occasions!!

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back