• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hillhead Estate! (1 Viewer)

Nina P

Nina
I had a wonderful morning on the 20th February, I decided to look out the bedroom window, and using the scope I was able to identify Fieldfares by the dozen, starlings in flocks of 60+ in each field, and there were eight fields within view, there were so many lapwings, I lost count of them as they ran into the dips in the fields, but one bird stood out above all these, and something I haven't seen since I was about twelve.... Golden Plover! All three of them! I was so happy, It really made my holiday!o:D

Hi Nina - they say you can't buy a view. Well - I wish we had a view like that from our bedroom window - worth a million dollars, eh?

I reckon I'm really lucky, out the back of my own home I have four very large fields to overview from the landing, and in the summer I can only see two as the trees leaves obscure the nature within one whole field and part of another, so often I can say what I hear but cannot see, but when I visit my in-laws I have a terriffic view, from the top of the hill we can see right over to Widemouth Bay, and all the villages in between, but you need a really strong magnification to see the contents of the fields beyond the first half dozen, but the beauty of it is the sheer clarity of the air down there. Where street lighting is starting to disrupt the night sky, but you can watch the air force and their jets doing their low flying and look into the cockpit and see the pilot, quite fascinating! But also very noisy, and you do have to be very quick to see much, no good trying to take a digital picture, a case of there it was gone! I must admit I have seen some really beautiful sights from that window, and my first ever buzzard was on the road from Bude to Wadebridge, it Buzzed our car and hubby nearly crashed it from shock, but that was a good few years ago now, and they are ten a penny nowadays, the kestrels are less common now.

Your writing says it all - it really does give a hint of how wonderful it is. Maybe you could write your experiences up as a short story or poem titled "Out of My Window"?

Yes,Nina,it is truly amazing just what can be seen from a window.We live across the road from a small river,but this river goes up into the hills .One morning two Swans flew so low and so close it was frightening.They are so large and bulky,it makes one wonder how they can actually keep aloft in the air.Also the Geese often fly past ,and we can see the estuary and the waders.So no ,one does not always need to go walkabouts to see lots of birds.
Oh,I forgot,through the windows at the back of the house,nesting Jackdaws,Swallows(when they arrive),ditto House Martins etc etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back