• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Whale (1 Viewer)

Dipper

Hi

On a recent birding trip to Oaxaca, S. Mexico I took a couple of boat trips from Puerto Angel on the Pacific coast. Humpback Whales were promised and certainly whales were seen. I've attached a photo of one particular whale which is thought to be another species. Can any of you put a positive ID to it?

Attachments

• DS040301112804.jpg
    DS040301112804.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 257
An indication of size would help - and blow/dive pattern -like could you see that fin at the same time as the blow, or after.

If I'd seen it in Biscay I'd be pretty sure it was indeed Fin Whale as Steve says, based on the fin shape...or Brydes.

With a little more information it will be possible to get close to ID-ing I guess if its actually quite small and there was no obvious blow - it could be a Minke.

Blue can be ruled out on colour and fin shape... and thought tricky to rule out 100%, it doesn't look like Sei to me.

cuckooroller said:
Dipper,

I think you're probably going to have to wait until Hell freezes over on this one!!!

Great album by the way, Eagles, Hell Freezes Over

Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
Here are my field notes for Fin and Sei Whale.

Thanks for the suggestions. The whales I saw were my first ever so I was just enjoying the experience, snapping some pics. Humpbacks were seen in the area several times on each trip. I was hoping that the fin shape might give enough clues. Even though I have no experience to compare with I think this whale is too small for Blue but much bigger than a Minke.

Regards

Jane Turner said:
Fins are almost as big as Blues! Did you see any blows?

I did see it blow. A single one. But I'm new to whales, so any info I give should be treated like that of a total non birder describing some exotic rarity found in their back garden :) I was hoping the photo would be enough. Sorry I can't help more.

Whale?

"Humpbacks were seen in the area several times on each trip. I was hoping that the fin shape might give enough clues.
Regards"

Going by the overall shape of the fin, Humpback first and only choice.
The fore-edge of the dorsal fin is too elongated for anything else, also the double step points only one way.

Malky @ Westhill

An opinion is only a conclusion based on current available information.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back