• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chinese Water Deer (1 Viewer)

Karl J

How come there Chinese Water Deer living wild in Norfolk ?

My understanding is they are an introduced species .... anyone know when they were introduced ? .....and why ?? ...are they perhaps endangered in China ?

Anyone ?

Deer

Generally all over the place ! If they are Munkjac deer,they are Chinese Ornamental Deer.Without being too picky,they graced posh estates/houses and escaped quite a while ago.They are living in a large wood near my mother in law in North Oxon.Eat her flowers given the chance ! They bark like a dog in the mating-season.You will hear stories of them wherever you go,a small number near me in the middle of Oxford,they come out at night to feed.
Mervyn.

Genus Hydropotes, species inermis. Members of a monospecific genus that is different from that of the Muntjacs (Barking Deer) belonging to genus Muntiacus. Hydropotes is one of only two cervids that lack antlers in both sexes. Resemble Muntiacus in having elongated maxillary canines.

I prefer "tusks" Andrew (on the males only). They are very common in the fens south of Peterborough, generally in the wet woodland but I have seen them in the middle of fields recently. Stockier than Muntjac, the coat lacks the deep brown colour of Muntjac and it has a more horizontal back. The screaming bark scares the pants off you when listening for owls at night.

brianhstone said:
I prefer "tusks" Andrew (on the males only). They are very common in the fens south of Peterborough, generally in the wet woodland but I have seen them in the middle of fields recently. Stockier than Muntjac, the coat lacks the deep brown colour of Muntjac and it has a more horizontal back. The screaming bark scares the pants off you when listening for owls at night.

I am interested in the debate as to whether these escapee deer should be culled, and by that I mean eradicated from the UK? Muntjac, CWD and Sika are all here as escapees, but how far do you go? Fallow deer are not 'native' and if you go back to the last ice age as a measure of what represents 'native' mammal fauna, the UK would have a pretty limited mix on the furry front.

James

Chinese Water Deer were first kept in London Zoo before being transferred to Woburn Abbey - Bedfordshire.

Our wild population derives from deliberate releases and escapees. The majority of the wild Chinese Water Deer population still lives near Woburn Abbey. The deer prefer tall reed and grass areas in rich alluvial deltas. They have moved east into Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk, and south towards Whipsnade.

The above info is thanks to Deer UK (www.deer-uk.com)

Ranger James said:
I am interested in the debate as to whether these escapee deer should be culled ....

Why would they be culled ? .... If they've been here since the 1870's (from deer-uk.com) haven't they been around long enough to be considered, if not native, at least naturalized ?

Muntjac

Sorry to confuse re: muntjac,but it seems they originated from Woburn too ! (in this country).smallest deer I am told,covers two thirds of the country.
Mervyn

Culling

Even the deer in the 300 year old herd,Magdalen College oxgord (pronounced Maudlen) sometimes find it necessary to cull to keep the herd strong.Unofficial rumour the numbers of deer must equal the number of Fellows !
Mervyn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back