• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting day on the hill (1 Viewer)

Scozmos

United Kingdom
Sunday August 13th was just another Sunday at home, very changeable weather meant mostly indoor stuff so, I spent a fair amount of time at the Mac, therefor next to my window, watching and grabbing photos as anything interesting dropped by. Just after 11 o'clock I spotted movement along the fence....
20230813 - First Red Squirrel.jpg
A wee Red Squirrel worked its way towards and onto the feeders and started munching sunflower hearts.20230813 - First Red Squirrel looking into the camera.jpg 20230813 - First Red Squirrel in sunshine.jpg
We see plenty of them in the surrounding area but none had yet visited the garden.20230813 - First Red Squirrel eye to eye.jpgAlways beautiful wee beasties anywhere.
20230813 - First Red Squirrel full length.jpg
As if that wasn't exciting enough, I popped back into the room, yes, I do leave here sometimes and there was something else moving around the long grass at the base of the tree outside my window.
20230813 - Wild cat kitten first sighting.jpg
Now, we live pretty out in the sticks, no-one out here has cats, I know there are wild cats not too far from here so I kind of labeled this as A wild cat kitten, possibly a hybrid, how fabulous to see it either way. Not great for birds coming to feeders but, there's not a lot of cover around the feeders so ....
20230813 - Wild cat kitten licking its lips under the tree.jpg 20230813 - Wild cat kitten under the tree.jpg
If we never see it again, this was still a wonderful creature to see passing through.
20230813 - Wild cat kitten peeping round the tree.jpg

I got plenty photos and even snuck out behind it but, didn't realise what's required to ID a true wild cat, maybe next time.
Added to the appropriate site for ID. (y)

Gorgeous and cute pictures you've got there Scoz.

Some days really are special, aren't they.

I love the red squirrels! Nice pictures. One year they took over the walnut tree in my yard from the gray squirrels. They're more industrious and efficient, they were storing the nuts all over the place. Several times they stacked a bunch of walnuts inside the wheels of my car!

I used to visit a farm at the top of Glen Isla in Forter. The wife used to feed some cats there and one of them was a cross wildcat. So it seems there was a Wild Cat in the area at that time. However, that was back in the '90s.

That was when I first found out about the pattern on the tail.

I used to visit a farm at the top of Glen Isla in Forter. The wife used to feed some cats there and one of them was a cross wildcat. So it seems there was a Wild Cat in the area at that time. However, that was back in the '90s.

That was when I first found out about the pattern on the tail.
I met a couple out walking up at Backwater a couple of weeks ago, they live in Glen Isla somewhere and said they had / have wild cats around the garden and area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back