• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When to watch Cetaceans? (1 Viewer)

Birding Bob

Robert Williamson
Hi all, Due to living in Norfolk I haven't seen many cetaceans other than Harbour Porpoises and a Bottlenose Dolphin I saw in July. So I was thinking is there a particular good time of the year to watch cetaceans to give myself a better chance of seeing more?

Thanks

Rob.

Last edited:
Assuming you are prepared to travel I suggest August through September is a decent time to see Common Dolphins and maybe Minke Whales from Cornish headlands or from e.g. the Scillonian III. Likewise Western Scotland from midsummer on has boat trips e.g. Sea Life Surveys out of Tobermory, with good views of Common Dolphin, Minke Whale and sometimes Bottlenose Dolphins. There is a lot of literature on this including Where to Watch type books and articles. You could also check Seawatch Foundation website although their sightings are usually incomplete and out of date.

John

The east of England is not the easiest place to see cetaceans. Suggest you contact the local Sea Watch Foundation co-ordinators < www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk/regional-coordinators.php >. You could also check SWF recent sightings section which has been suggested.

Generally I'd suggest that you stand the best chance of seeing cetaceans at the same place as others have recently seen them, hence the usefulness of a recent sightings listing.
possum

Last edited:
Hi all, Due to living in Norfolk I haven't seen many cetaceans other than Harbour Porpoises and a Bottlenose Dolphin I saw in July. So I was thinking is there a particular good time of the year to watch cetaceans to give myself a better chance of seeing more?

Thanks

Rob.

You've seen more cetaceans in East Anglia than many people so you're actually doing pretty well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back