• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing a tripod head for scope, in the £200 range (1 Viewer)

Tomgibo

I've not owned a scope up until now despite years of bird watching as I live far from the sea, am not a fan of lugging around lots of gear and have been able to make do with bins/600mm lens combo for spotting and identifying distant birds. However I've struggled a bit recently with picking out rare individuals in large wader flocks, spotting stationary distant birds in terrible light conditions and other more optically challenging situations so I will be buying a scope in the next few months.
I own Benro Rhino 34C Carbon Fibre Tripod Legs which weigh about 1.6kg with the supplied ballhead removed.
I'm probably going to buy a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 or similar fairly large scope, 1.85kg.
But I need a video head, and I'm struggling with the amount of choice. I had just about talked myself into getting a benro s6pro with all it's features, 6 step counterbalance etc, when I saw that in the same price range there are also heads that weigh 600g instead of a whopping 1.6kg, heads like the leofoto bv-5. I can't see myself ever choosing to take a scope on a long walk but probably will end up lugging it a couple of km every now and again. Is it better going for an option that is probably a bit overengineered and solid or something that will significantly save on weight? what other Video heads should I be considering?

Highly recommend the iFootage video heads. The model for a max load of 5 kg and sells for $145 on Amazon (also sold by B&H). It comfortably manages a 2-3kg load. What I like about video heads is being able to adjust the tension so I can move the scope or lens without having to loosen the head, so it is not an all or nothing situation.

Highly recommend the iFootage video heads. The model for a max load of 5 kg and sells for $145 on Amazon (also sold by B&H). It comfortably manages a 2-3kg load. What I like about video heads is being able to adjust the tension so I can move the scope or lens without having to loosen the head, so it is not an all or nothing situation.
Thanks! Another model to add to my list of considerations!

In that price range I'd definitely get the Manfrotto 500AH. That's a well-tried video head that can handle a scope of the size no problem.

Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back