• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP needed from birders in Orange County, California (1 Viewer)

curlybird

If there is anyone out there who live or go birding in Orange County, CA.....

I am desperately looking for Cedar Waxwings in OC!! Has anyone seen them anywhere around OC recently? If so, please tell me where and any other details - this bird is #1 on my wish list (life list) - thanks!

curlybird, I was at San Joaquin yesterday and did not see any, but the berries they love there are just coming out so it won't be long now. The last photo I got of that bird was last December on the Tree Hill trails there between the first and second parking area.
A few have been reported on EBird in North OC in the past few days also.

Great, thank you both! I was also over at San Joaquin WS yesterday, as it's only 10 min. from my office, and I sometimes go there on my lunch hour. There was one spot, near one of the ponds, where I could SWEAR I heard some birds that sounded like them. I took pictures of birds I saw flitting around there where I heard the sound but couldn't find any birds in the pictures, unfortunately. I might go back again as I'm almost certain those were Cedar Waxwings.

curlybird, I'll be at SJWS again early tomorrow (Friday) morning. I'll be concentrating on the berries around Tree Hill to the boardwalk. I can post from there if I find one. Also if you can let me know which pond you heard that at please let me know. I've also heard they have also been seen in the gardens around the duck club so I will keep checking there too.

Here is an eBird map showing all sightings of CW reported to eBird in Orange County over this year and last: http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=...continue.x=56&continue.y=13&continue=Continue

The yellow balloons show sightings within the last thirty days. Click on a balloon to see the name of the location and other details. (Zooming in will make it easier to click on individual balloons in a cluster).

Hope this helps,
Jim

Last edited:
curlybird, I'll be at SJWS again early tomorrow (Friday) morning. I'll be concentrating on the berries around Tree Hill to the boardwalk. I can post from there if I find one. Also if you can let me know which pond you heard that at please let me know. I've also heard they have also been seen in the gardens around the duck club so I will keep checking there too.

That would be great!!! Actually, if you see any this morning, can you possibly send me an e-mail: [email protected] and I'll go there on my lunch hour. I can't remember which pond I heard the sound. I went up the fledgling path past the three ponds on the right that have all the sandpipers and ducks, then after passing the third pond, I made a left, walked down that trail past the ponds on either side of that path, then I believe I turned right then left again at next trail after that and heard the birds on the right side.

Well there were none I could find this morning, but with all the trees being torn out on the reclamation plant perimeter, the places around the upper trails are probably not going to be good for a while. I walked the ponds and could not find any either.
I did happen upon a bobcat searching for breakfast, but that's another story

Well there were none I could find this morning, but with all the trees being torn out on the reclamation plant perimeter, the places around the upper trails are probably not going to be good for a while. I walked the ponds and could not find any either.
I did happen upon a bobcat searching for breakfast, but that's another story
Thanks, anyway, for looking. I'm going to check out some areas in city of Orange tomorrow a.m., as I looked on ebird (recommended by someone else who responded to my post) and found several sightings of CW's recently, some near chapman and newport. These Cedar Waxwings are my nemesis!!

Here is an eBird map showing all sightings of CW reported to eBird in Orange County over this year and last: http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=...continue.x=56&continue.y=13&continue=Continue

The yellow balloons show sightings within the last thirty days. Click on a balloon to see the name of the location and other details. (Zooming in will make it easier to click on individual balloons in a cluster).

Hope this helps,
Jim

Thanks for the tip, Jim - I had looked in there before but looked again yesterday, and I'm going to check out the areas near me (Orange) today!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back