• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why metal eyecups? (1 Viewer)

longbow

Hey Boys and Girls. I have been wrestling with a pair of 10x zrs and have not been able to get hooked up with them. No point going into why not, but suffice it to say I had determined to buy myself some alpha's but, decided on a whim to look at the ED2 10x because of the press.

BUT. I just discovered from the ZR website that they have metal eye cups. Anybody know why they would do this? In years past I had various bins with metal or hard plastic eye cups and all I got out of the experience was scratched glasses. I wear expensive bi-focals and would not want to have to replace them a couple of times a year. The soft rubber eye pieces I have had on my last several bins saved my glasses.

Likely Zen Ray has lost a sale because of this "upgrade." Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I believe those metal eyecups are the moving parts that move up and down. There are smooth rubber covers wrapped around them. I don't wear glasses. You will never see the metal unless you peel off the rubber covers. It is a good design. One of my friends has a old Nikon Monarch, which has plastic eyecups covered by rubber. Over the time, the plastic cracked and he had to send it in for service.

I got my 7x36 ED2 over the weekend. Only spent less than an hour on it so far. I like what I see. I don't see any metal eyecups on the ED2 eyepiece. Whatever that is, it is covered by rubber band, pertty much like every twist-up eyecup I have seen.

Thanks a lot for the info guys, makes a lot more sense now. Thinks I'll write ZR and point out the confusion which is possible in their description of the bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back