• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape May - advice please (1 Viewer)

FalconBirder

Raptor Ethologist
Hi there,

I'm toying with the idea of spending a couple of weeks skywatching at Cape May in the Fall. I've searched the 'net for some basic clean accommodation but the advertised prices seem excessive. Can anyone suggest any economic options within half an hour or so drive of the hawkwatch site please?

Maybe volunteer at the CMBO? They surely would have the inside scoop on most economical places to stay and you are not a standard sun and sand tourist, so you can live with something basic away from the beach.

Hi FalconBirder,

the only place I can think off that is relatively cheap and close is the Eldorado motel in North Dennis, its about 40 mins drive to Cape May and is close to Jakes Landing.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=e...634,-74.817581&spn=0.398639,0.617294&t=h&z=11

Might be worth trying Hawk Mountain in PA if its raptors you are specifically going for. PM me if you need any more details, I lived in the area for 3.5 years and would be happy to help out,

Rob

Falcon Birder, Half an hours drive will take you a fair way up the coast so you have lots of options. Congress Hall (in Cape May) is very nice but perhaps a little pricey. By the way dolphins commonly feed near the beach opposite this hotel.

Hi there,

I'm toying with the idea of spending a couple of weeks skywatching at Cape May in the Fall. I've searched the 'net for some basic clean accommodation but the advertised prices seem excessive. Can anyone suggest any economic options within half an hour or so drive of the hawkwatch site please?

Hi Falconbirder.
Ive just posted my Cape May trip report on this forum which may /may not be of some use.
re: accomodation we had the same problems and eventually opted for Holly Shores Campground which was in striking distance of all the Cape May sites ( 15 min drive max). If you dont go down the RV option they do have cabins for hire which were alot cheaper than the hotels on offer in the Cape May area.

Check them out..

http://www.hollyshores.com/holly_page2.html

Hi there,

There are weeks, especially in September, when it is nearly impossible to get accommodations in or near Cape May unless the reservations are made very early.
Bob

Hi there,

There are weeks in the latter part of September when it is nearly impossible to get accommodations near Cape May unless the reservations are made very early.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back