• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bino Advice (2 Viewers)

Definitely look at the Zeiss Victory SF 8x32, as it has an even wider AFOV than the NL Pure 8x32.

If portability is key, also have a look at the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. It's surprisingly capable for such a small instrument, but people with glasses seem to like it more than those who don't.

I have the SFL 8x30, but don't like it all that much.
fazalmajid,

Out of curiosity what don't you like about the SFL 8X30?

I know, it's stupid, lol, but just for fun, @fazalmajid... Every time I see your avatar, I feel like the ex president of my country ( 🇫🇷 ) is a member of BF !! :oops:
I probably need binoculars !! ahaha !!!

View attachment 1549086
Well, I am also French, but don't like scooters. I'll update my avatar to a more recent photo to spare you the PTSD of seeing Hollande everywhere...

Well, I am also French, but don't like scooters. I'll update my avatar to a more recent photo to spare you the PTSD of seeing Hollande everywhere...
OOhhh, Hollande is dismissed ?!! ahaha !!!
Hopefully a Macron is not interested in birds and binoculars !!! 🤪

Oh dear, no more Holllande but you seem to be morphing into Rudy Giuliani! :D:D We all have a doppelganger out there somewhere....I seem to be aging into actor Christopher Lloyd...from "Back to the Future" that's OK, depending on which movie you watch.....

Attachments

• Christopher-Lloyd-Wiki-Bio-Age-Net-Worth-and-Other-Facts-3505199823.jpg
    Christopher-Lloyd-Wiki-Bio-Age-Net-Worth-and-Other-Facts-3505199823.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1
Some pics of the Swaro CL Companion 8x30 next to the Kowa BDII 6.5x32 (with covers on and off) - it really shows how compact the Kowa is - especially as everyone (it seems) naturally believes the Swaro to be compact. The Swaro is compact, and it feels slimmer and a bit lighter, but the Kowa is really compact as well, its a lot shorter!

Attachments

• IMG_1943.jpeg
    IMG_1943.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1942.jpeg
    IMG_1942.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1941.jpeg
    IMG_1941.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1946.jpeg
    IMG_1946.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1944.jpeg
    IMG_1944.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Thank you for all the advice! I finally got to try all the bins mentioned that I could reasonably get my eyes on. For what it is worth, here are my thoughts.

Zeiss 8x30 SFL
This is the one I bought.

FOV is great, clearly larger in both AFOV and true than the Swaro NL Pure. View is bright, colors are great, and it is lightweight.

I love the balance of it, I can one hand it with reasonable steadiness, and focus wheel feels lux. Twist eyecups are great and the individual flip down lens covers mean no loose parts that can get lost. They clearly thought about the use case I have (pocket+ bins), and it works very well

Zeiss 8x32 Victory SF
Absolutely stunning view, FOV best that I looked through. But very heavy and large. Not a good fit for my use case.

Nikon Monarch HG 8x30
Nice bins, but FOV was noticibly smaller than the SFLs. I tested both MHG and SFL on a cloud snowy (low light) day and the SFLs were noticeably brighter. They are a bit smaller than the SFLs, but it really wasn't much. I would be hard pressed to find a pocket that the SFLs wouldn't fit in that the MHGs would.

Swaro NL Pure
View was incredible, colors seemed very true and felt very sharp. FOV was smaller and they were much heavier and longer than the SFL. Probably wonderful for a different use case, but not something I want to pack up a mountain.

Opticron traveler BGA ED 8x32
Small, light, inexpensive (relatively), these would have been my top choice if it weren't for the glare challenge. Anything within 30°of the sun had glare across the whole FOV, making it quite hard to pick out anything. If you were observing from inside a shelter, or can find extension tubes / hoods that cut the glare these punch above their budget class.

Now that I have had the SFLs for a few weeks and done a few trips with them, I continue to love them. They are easy to throw in my pack without the bulk and weight of the 14x40s, but let me see detail across valleys and pick out paths and interesting things I never would have seen otherwise.

Haven't tested them canoeing yet, but that will come.

Thanks all!

Thank you for all the advice! I finally got to try all the bins mentioned that I could reasonably get my eyes on. For what it is worth, here are my thoughts.

Zeiss 8x30 SFL
This is the one I bought.

FOV is great, clearly larger in both AFOV and true than the Swaro NL Pure. View is bright, colors are great, and it is lightweight.

I love the balance of it, I can one hand it with reasonable steadiness, and focus wheel feels lux. Twist eyecups are great and the individual flip down lens covers mean no loose parts that can get lost. They clearly thought about the use case I have (pocket+ bins), and it works very well

Zeiss 8x32 Victory SF
Absolutely stunning view, FOV best that I looked through. But very heavy and large. Not a good fit for my use case.

Nikon Monarch HG 8x30
Nice bins, but FOV was noticibly smaller than the SFLs. I tested both MHG and SFL on a cloud snowy (low light) day and the SFLs were noticeably brighter. They are a bit smaller than the SFLs, but it really wasn't much. I would be hard pressed to find a pocket that the SFLs wouldn't fit in that the MHGs would.

Swaro NL Pure
View was incredible, colors seemed very true and felt very sharp. FOV was smaller and they were much heavier and longer than the SFL. Probably wonderful for a different use case, but not something I want to pack up a mountain.

Opticron traveler BGA ED 8x32
Small, light, inexpensive (relatively), these would have been my top choice if it weren't for the glare challenge. Anything within 30°of the sun had glare across the whole FOV, making it quite hard to pick out anything. If you were observing from inside a shelter, or can find extension tubes / hoods that cut the glare these punch above their budget class.

Now that I have had the SFLs for a few weeks and done a few trips with them, I continue to love them. They are easy to throw in my pack without the bulk and weight of the 14x40s, but let me see detail across valleys and pick out paths and interesting things I never would have seen otherwise.

Haven't tested them canoeing yet, but that will come.

Thanks all!
Nice comparison, the SFL is kind of in a league of its own. Btw the MHG has a larger FOV than the SFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back