• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bino Advice (1 Viewer)

MurphyLaw

United States
Hi Birdforum!

Thank you for a such an incredible accumulation of knowledge on this site. I have been a lurker (appreciator) for years, and just joined to see if y'all can help illuminate my search.

I am looking for a pair of binoculars primarily for wildlife viewing on backpacking trips.

Key requirements are:
Waterproof
7-8x magnification
Lightweight, which means less than 500g or so

Within that bucket, I am primarily looking for a sense of immersion and pop, rather than any technical features. I find I get the most thrill out of seeing weird animal behaviors than identifying a rare plumage type.

I find a wide AFOV is amazing, and really increases the sense of immersion, even at the expense of image quality around the edges. True field of view is also important, as I spend a fair bit of time watching for movement. Low light performance is something I want, but I have to be realistic given my weight constraints.

I don't wear eyeglasses (yet), so eye relief isn't a problem.

I have looked through the swaro NL pures 8x32, haven't looked through the Zeiss victory sf 8x32, and had a good look through the Opticron Traveler 8x32 ED which had a nice image but the lens glare in sunlight was a deal killer for me.

There seems to be a dearth of high quality porros at the outlets near me (Metrowest area outside of Boston). From previous threads I know some of you also lament that ;) I love the more 3D effect of porros (and the price/quality) but I guess I am in the minority there. From the sounds of it, the Nikon e2s would be perfect if they were waterproof. I don't mind the bulk, I have plenty of room in my pack, it is the weight I am trying to keep down.

Are any of the high quality vintage superwides waterproof? Is there any way to buy them from a reputable source or from a vendor that accepts returns? The world of vintage is a somewhat imposing one from my dearth of knowledge, but I love the idea of 1) not buying a new thing and 2) using something old and unique. I don't have time to browse tag sales or drive hours to find something.

I don't mind spending something if it is the right bin for me.

I find I am less sensitive to CA than the average bear (at least on here), and I don't mind a little distortion around the edges. Contrast and brightness are more important to me.

Anyway, that was a long description. If anyone has advice I am deeply grateful!

None of the old wide angle porros is waterproof. The ones that come close are the old Russian Komz models. The body on those is pretty well sealed with the (in)famous "black goo" and they have felt rings on the ocular turrets to keep out dust. Not really "waterproof" but I have yet to see one with dust, moisture or fungus inside.
Buying old porros can be a gamble on ebay. From my experience, about 30 percent are misaligned. So I accumulated a little tool set to fix them. Most of the time that works out pretty well. As long as the prisms are okay and haven't moved or anything. Most of the time, any misalignment has other causes than the prisms.
And the "single body" models seem to be a bit more robust in that aspect.

Porro's tend to be heavier. The Kowa 6x30 YF or Oberwerk 6.5x32 lw are both light, but have less magnification then you want. 30 mm aperture is prone to glare. You could try the Nikon M5, Maven 8x30, Vortex DB 8x32. I like the Hawke 7x32 ED Marine, very nice glass.

Any number of roof binoculars will satisfy your demands, depending also of how many $$$ you want to spend.
How many $ you can spend?

For Porro binoculars, I would chat with B&H people.
Water proof can be interpreted as splash proof or immersion able. Is splash proof acceptable?

What's up Murphy, I am in Boston area also. From your description, it sounds like you should consider the Nikon Monarch HG 8x30. It meets all your requirements. It would be my choice for a sub-500g binocular, that's 17 ounces and the MHG is 16 I think? Another light option is the Swaro 8x30CL, I think it's 17 ounces.

You could check these out at the Birdwatcher's Supply store up in Newburyport. They carry everything from Swaro, Zeiss and Nikon USA (no porros). Actually, I don't think they stock the porros from Swaro either, or the Curio.

The two premium porros in that range would be Nikon 8x30 E2 or the Swaro 8x30 Habitch, they would fit your spec but slightly heavier than the two roofs. The Swaro is waterproof but apparently the focuser is a little slower & stiffer than the E2, which is not waterproof. I would enjoy any of these, they all have great optics. I'd probably go with the MHG for the backpack, just for the compact form, over the porros. Excellent value on the MHG too.

Welcome to Birdforum .

Leica 8x32 UVHD+ gorgeous, Zeiss 8x32 SF wide FOV, Zeiss 8x40 SFL nice balance , size , weight and optics, Nikon 8x42 MHG similar to SFL, less expensive wider FOV. Another excellent choice, a little heavier but great is the Swarovski 8x42 SLC, NOW BEING SOLD FOR A STEAL BY OUR VERY OWN Denco Dennis, in the classifieds.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Paul

Leica Ultravid 8x32 or Zeiss Victory FL 8x32. Both are a little heavier than 500g but tried and tested for backpacking purposes and wildlife watching in less than perfect light. FOV may be not what you are looking for but they're both more rugged than they seem. Glare is better controlled in the Ultravids, FOV is better in the Zeiss. Unless you're a diver, I wouldn't rule out the Nikon E2s. I find them a bit awkward to carry, though.

I got some Opticron eyepiece covers for my E2 to keep the drizzle off, but they might still fog up in cold damp weather and I still worry about their lack of armour a little. Reasonable price options for wide, armoured and waterproof welcome…

Peter

@Binocollector
None of the old wide angle porros is waterproof.

Bummer, but really good to know. Thanks for saving me from that particular rabbit hole ;)

@Paultricounty hmm, the 8x42 SLC looks very nice, but a little heavy for me. By day 5 I really start wondering about every ounce.

I have 2 recommendations not to rule out the E2. I love the idea but wouldn't it have problems in rain or if it got dunked in a river? I am not diving with it, but I definitely don't always stay dry. Or does "not waterproof" mean "waterproof, but don't come crying to me if the seals dry out"

@Scott98 Hi Scott! Nice to "see" a local face. The Monarch HGs look pretty good. I stopped into the Drumlin Audubon store which had a nice selection, but not the Monarchs. I will check out Birdwatcher Supply. Thanks for the tip!

Point of clarification, what did you mean by
you should consider the Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 [it is] 17 ounces and the MHG is 16

Is the Monarch HG different than the MHG? I don't follow.

Thanks for the warm welcome all :)

Last edited:
Point of clarification, what did you mean by

Monarch HG and MHG are the same . You asked for a sub 500 g binocular which is roughly 17 oz . Scott98 mentioned that " It would be my choice for a sub-500g binocular, that's 17 ounces and the MHG is 16 I think? "

Yes around here the Monarch High Grade are shortened to MHG, which I often misspell MGH, maybe from Mass General Hospital? :)

I can't do backpacking anymore, but if I did I would like the 8x30 MHG, they're super small to have hanging on your neck in active situations, like hiking or dog walking. Most of these others are bulkier, the various 8x32's, the porros. I love porros but they are a bigger, more cumbersome mass hanging off your neck. The 8x30 MHG are tiny.

The one thing I don't like about the 8x30 MHG is it's the same price as the 8x42 which seems unfair! C'mon give us a break Nikon, it's a smaller lens. btw, I don't know if you use Astromart.com, but there is a guy selling a used 8x30 MHG for half the price of new, just FYI. I was tempted to jump on it myself but I'm 6 months into a self-imposed "freeze" on new bino purchases :)

Definitely look at the Zeiss Victory SF 8x32, as it has an even wider AFOV than the NL Pure 8x32.

If portability is key, also have a look at the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. It's surprisingly capable for such a small instrument, but people with glasses seem to like it more than those who don't.

I have the SFL 8x30, but don't like it all that much.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

While a pair of E2 is fun and still offers a quite nice view for the money, I would not consider it as my only pair for traveling. I have been out in some light rain with them and also had them fog up internally without them now being a fungus culture, but I tend to keep them under my jacket or in the backpack when things get really wet. You want to be able to dry them out afterwards, which might be tricky on a backpacking trip with bad weather...

And I would most certainly not consider them for a kayaking trip... I have done some involuntary full immersion testing with different roof pairs and me without issues and I am sure that the E2s would have needed a complete disassembly for cleaning up...

Try a few 8x30 alphas or $1000 class bins and get what you and your wallet prefer. Most $1000 pairs will offer a very good view and beyond that very small improvements in image quality, field of view and ergonomics tend to be paid for with increasingly large amounts of money.

Joachim

Hi Birdforum!

Thank you for a such an incredible accumulation of knowledge on this site. I have been a lurker (appreciator) for years, and just joined to see if y'all can help illuminate my search.

I am looking for a pair of binoculars primarily for wildlife viewing on backpacking trips.

Key requirements are:
Waterproof
7-8x magnification
Lightweight, which means less than 500g or so

Within that bucket, I am primarily looking for a sense of immersion and pop, rather than any technical features. I find I get the most thrill out of seeing weird animal behaviors than identifying a rare plumage type.

I find a wide AFOV is amazing, and really increases the sense of immersion, even at the expense of image quality around the edges. True field of view is also important, as I spend a fair bit of time watching for movement. Low light performance is something I want, but I have to be realistic given my weight constraints.

I don't wear eyeglasses (yet), so eye relief isn't a problem.

I have looked through the swaro NL pures 8x32, haven't looked through the Zeiss victory sf 8x32, and had a good look through the Opticron Traveler 8x32 ED which had a nice image but the lens glare in sunlight was a deal killer for me.

There seems to be a dearth of high quality porros at the outlets near me (Metrowest area outside of Boston). From previous threads I know some of you also lament that ;) I love the more 3D effect of porros (and the price/quality) but I guess I am in the minority there. From the sounds of it, the Nikon e2s would be perfect if they were waterproof. I don't mind the bulk, I have plenty of room in my pack, it is the weight I am trying to keep down.

Are any of the high quality vintage superwides waterproof? Is there any way to buy them from a reputable source or from a vendor that accepts returns? The world of vintage is a somewhat imposing one from my dearth of knowledge, but I love the idea of 1) not buying a new thing and 2) using something old and unique. I don't have time to browse tag sales or drive hours to find something.

I don't mind spending something if it is the right bin for me.

I find I am less sensitive to CA than the average bear (at least on here), and I don't mind a little distortion around the edges. Contrast and brightness are more important to me.

Anyway, that was a long description. If anyone has advice I am deeply grateful!
Based on your comments of wanting to experience "immersion, pop, 3D" and based off my personal use of 10x40 habicht. I think you want the 8x30 habicht. They're unfortunately non-rubber armored but if they're anything like my bigger ones you will absolutely love them.

If you want a wide FOV and a nice (but not the best) optic - the Kowa BDII line in its various formats fit the bill nicely.

I have and enjoy quite a lot the 6.5x32. My spouse owns and uses the NL 8x32 and only on rare occasions do I ask to borrow the NL for a moment b/c there's some detail I can't quite make out with the Kowa that I'm able to see by switching to the NL.

If you compare the physical specs and FOV of the BDII to anything else out there - there's nothing to complain about with the Kowa, especially given the low price. To my eyes and thinking, optical quality wise, if they were in the Zeiss line they would be better than the Terra and a hair below the Conquest; but they would be lighter weight and more compact than the Conquest - with a FOV that matched the VSF.

And they come in at 4.9", 525 grams, and have the shortest focus distance I've seen on a bino that isn't the Papillio.

Last edited:
The MGH must have a very narrow FOV ;)

I will look at Astromart, but I think I need to look through them first. Nothing worse than spending a bunch of money on the wrong thing.

. I have done some involuntary full immersion testing with different roof pairs

Hahaha! Thank you for your service Sir

was tempted to jump on it myself but I'm 6 months into a self-imposed "freeze" on new bino purchases :)

As a recovering gear head I am sympathetic.

Though now that I come to think of it, I just asked for advice about a new pair of binos. Did I fall off the wagon?

Does anyone have leads on where I could try out the 8x30 Habitch? I will definitely visit Birdwatcher supply, is Hunts Photo Video worth a shot?

I think you meant: Man's Greatest Hospital !
That's what they call it at Mayo Clinic! I think MGH Brigham is a horrible, medieval company btw, but that's a topic for another day :)

Steve (Birdwatchers Supply) does not stock the Swaro porros unfortunately, I've never been able to try one either. Not sure where you'd find one locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back