• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro IS L lens (1 Viewer)

Nikon Kid

Love them Sula Bassana
I am seriously thinking about buying this Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro IS L lens, who's bought it and used it.

I have the 150 Sigma f2.8 and I'm very pleased with it. As the Canon lens has this new technology Intelligent Macro Tracking function in A1 Servo with the 7d, rocking back and forth or your subject moving in AF it tracks supposedly very quick to keep the subject in focus, I tried my Sigma 150mm on the 7d today and it tracks reasonably quick anyway. The 100mm would come in handy for portraits as well which I have still to dabble in.

And of cause Spring/Summer will be here soon for the insects and butterflies.

Carefull once you start down the road of having two macro lenses it won't be long before you need another! And then you'll start looking at microscope element and bellows and then - well - then there is no saving you.

Thanks overread, there's no saving me anyway, to far gone, The bellows bit I don't think so I just don't have the patience to set everything up, I am more an opportunist shooter.

My only worry of a 150mm and 100mm lens is that you will end up using one always over the other since the features of both are very similar (barring the advantages of the 100mm) and the difference in focal length is not going to be massivly noticable in the field either in image capture nor working distance - though grabshots of wildlife might suffer a little more with only a 100mm lens.

That said you know the real way to go is shorter - head down for the wonders of the 65mm macro lens ;) :)

I was thinking the same, but not tried out the 100mm yet, but if it did work out that way, I would always get good money back for the Sigma 150mm, 65mm macro don't think so I am lazy there's no AF............

though grabshots of wildlife might suffer a little more with only a 100mm lens.
Surely grabshots with an I.S. lens would be better if hand holding? or are you thinking of the focal length difference for bigger wildlife shots.

Focal length difference really - the IS is certainly worth having in a lens and if sigma made a 150mm OS I'd jump for it. But I find that even with a 150mm (or 210mm as my 150 tends to have a 1.4TC on it all the time) its often hard to get a good wildlife grabshot unless they come very close.

If I am out and about with the 150mm on I just concentrate on macro shots only, unless I am on the Farne Islands and they are dieing to get in the frame, where its pretty easy to take full frame shots with what ever lens you have on.

My wife has the new 100 F2.8L IS Macro lens.

It is a great lens for sure but for extreme close ups you still need a tripod. She has tried to handhold it to take snowflake shots but it drifts in and out of focus, on a tripod with the IS off it's fine.

I sometimes use it to take bird shots. Here's an example, uncropped. You can see it is sharp.

Attachments

• IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3020.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 485
How do you get that close with 100mm, great shot, I am OK shooting handheld with the 150mm Sigma so the 100mm with IS must be a better bet handheld.

How do you get that close with 100mm, great shot, I am OK shooting handheld with the 150mm Sigma so the 100mm with IS must be a better bet handheld.

It was mugging me for the sunflower seeds in my pocket........

Extreme close-ups don't seem to work so well, I mean with extension tubes with the front element practically touching the subject. For insects and stuff it should be fine.

It was mugging me for the sunflower seeds in my pocket........

Extreme close-ups don't seem to work so well, I mean with extension tubes with the front element practically touching the subject. For insects and stuff it should be fine.

Have you tried it on your 7d yet in A1 servo, wanted to know how fast it reacts as opposed to other camera's, ie this new technology Intelligent Macro Tracking function.

Have you tried it on your 7d yet in A1 servo, wanted to know how fast it reacts as opposed to other camera's, ie this new technology Intelligent Macro Tracking function.

Not yet, it was on my old 400D.

I can try and prise it from my wife's camera next time I go to the Nuthatch place.

Hi I am new to all photography (sept 09) and macro, today I purchased the new canon 100mml is usm. and here is a first shot. iso 200 f2.8 and 400 shutter speed canon 50D. sorry its not a creature. I have been looking round the garden but haven't been lucky yet, there is the very rare odd bee but their a bit skitterish at the mo. mike ps hand held in a breeze.

Attachments

• IMG_5909.JPG
    IMG_5909.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 341
Hi I am new to all photography (sept 09) and macro, today I purchased the new canon 100mml is usm. and here is a first shot. iso 200 f2.8 and 400 shutter speed canon 50D. sorry its not a creature. I have been looking round the garden but haven't been lucky yet, there is the very rare odd bee but their a bit skitterish at the mo. mike ps hand held in a breeze.

I am not very good at feathers mike, maybe when you find a nice insect/butterfly/dragonfly will be better, shut it down to f8 400 ISO is OK and do a bit of processing in DPP and or other software sharpen it up a bit.

Wait to see your next image

My EF 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM Lens is on order with kerso, can't wait

has your lens arrived yet? if so how do you find it compares to the Sigma 150? I have a bit of a hankering for the Canon but would have to sell both my Sigmas to cover the cost so would be very interested to see some comparison shots if you get the chance.

has your lens arrived yet? if so how do you find it compares to the Sigma 150? I have a bit of a hankering for the Canon but would have to sell both my Sigmas to cover the cost so would be very interested to see some comparison shots if you get the chance.

Should arrive to-morrow, will not be able to do much with it, but I am going to Barnack Hills and Holes later this month for the wild pasque flower and early orchids, My Garden does not get many insects as its paved with pots, but if I see some I will try it out and give my opinion.

I am not very good at feathers mike, maybe when you find a nice insect/butterfly/dragonfly will be better, shut it down to f8 400 ISO is OK and do a bit of processing in DPP and or other software sharpen it up a bit.

Wait to see your next image

Hi all I purchased the canon 100mmL 2.8L is last month . just managed to get out today in ernest with it and my grandson(11yrs) to a butterfly farm. the most significant problem I found when I observed them on the computer is to get the whole butterfly in focus. although to be fair a lot of the butterflies were the size of my hand this one was shot at 1/640s and at 2.8 and iso 640 please give me some advice. regards mike

Attachments

• IMG_6881.JPG
    IMG_6881.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 298
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back