• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro IS L lens (1 Viewer)

Well seeing as I had nothing to do this morning, I thought I would try and take the same image of a fly on a rhubarb leaf with the Sigma 150mm and the Canon 100mm IS and crop and process it exactly the same, just going in the house and changing the lens over, on the same leaf its a different fly one is older than the other, anyway here is the two shots can you see if one is better than the other ?

Both handheld
Were these shot hand-held or with a tripod? Not to say that one could not express an opinion if they were hand held but comparison between the two lenses would be meaningless - e.g on one of the shots you may have not held the lens quite as steady as the other (at macro distances you would only have to move the lens a tad to render it out of focus).

It would be interesting to see a comparison between the two under controlled conditions: Static subject at macro distance, Tripod and remote release (or timer). That way you would have a fair comparison.

Edit: I see they were both hand held so my post is applicable IMO.

Last edited:
Were these shot hand-held or with a tripod? Not to say that one could not express an opinion if they were hand held but comparison between the two lenses would be meaningless - e.g on one of the shots you may have not held the lens quite as steady as the other (at macro distances you would only have to move the lens a tad to render it out of focus).

It would be interesting to see a comparison between the two under controlled conditions: Static subject at macro distance, Tripod and remote release (or timer). That way you would have a fair comparison.

Edit: I see they were both hand held so my post is applicable IMO.

I know you are right Roy saying under controlled conditions but thats not in the field where we take images, you have to believe that I did hold the camera steady on both shots and remember it was on a 7d in A1 servo AF which is pretty fast to AF on movement in and out, and if it was not in focus I would not take the image.

Would I set it up on an enact object, maybe I would who wants to set the parameters and what object.

I know you are right Roy saying under controlled conditions but thats not in the field where we take images, you have to believe that I did hold the camera steady on both shots and remember it was on a 7d in A1 servo AF which is pretty fast to AF on movement in and out, and if it was not in focus I would not take the image.

Would I set it up on an enact object, maybe I would who wants to set the parameters and what object.
I am not disputing that you think you held both shots steady but it would only take a movement of a few thousands of an inch to make one shot sharper than the other and I defy anyone to hand hold to within such tight tolerances.

As far as taking shots that are in focus - I went out today with the 7D and a macro lens (using AI servo and high burst mode) and a monopod. Every shot I took I thought was in focus but when I came home and downloaded to the PC the majority were somewhat soft and slightly out of focus - That's the nature of macro photography as we all know (especially if we are not using a tripod). Or are you saying that every macro shot you take is sharp and in focus? if so then I take my hat off to you as you must be a very gifted photographer indeed, even the very best macro shooters take shots that turn out to be not quite in focus but you seem to be saying that you never do LOL ( ;) only joking of course because you know as well as I do that you cannot guarantee every macro shot to be in focus)

Of course you do not take pics in the field under controlled conditions but if you are trying to compare two different lenses then that is the only way to do it - that way you are comparing like to like.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back