• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guisborough Thursday! (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

Hope someone can help at short notice please.............

Going up to Guisborough on Thursday for a couple of days and wonder if there are any good birding spots nearby, inland or coastal. Particularly like woodland walks but any suggestions would be great. What should I look out for in particular?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Amelia

Scaling Dam and Lockwood Beck reservoirs are not far away from Guisborough and South Gare,Redcar is good for some coastal birdwatching. Snow Buntings have been seen at South Gare recently and you often get a good selection of waders there .Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hope someone can help at short notice please.............

Going up to Guisborough on Thursday for a couple of days and wonder if there are any good birding spots nearby, inland or coastal. Particularly like woodland walks but any suggestions would be great. What should I look out for in particular?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Amelia

Hi,

If you do get the time Saltholme RSPB and Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park are always worth a look. At this moment in time a Ring-necked Duck is present at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park and is showing really well at times, it's a fantastic bird having seen it myself. Also there are some feeders and a feeding station at the entrace to Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park which means plently of oppertunity for seeing Woodland Birds.:t:

Hope this helps,
Andrew K

South Gare at Redcar is well worth a look. One of the top birding locations in this area though perhaps not the most scenic ;)

There's always plenty of waders (Sanderling, Turnstone, Knot, Grey Plover, Bar-tailed Godwit, Dunlin) on the beach plus the Snow Buntings - there were 29 still last Friday when I visited and a flock of Linnet. Also Red-breasted Merganser, Cormorant and Shag on the sea alomst guaranteed plus whatever ever else turns up. A couple of seals were feeding close in at the end of the pier as well.

Mostly the birds are on the south side of the pier below the road just before the metal railings/gate at the the end of the road. I find around high tide is the best time to visit which will be around 1.30pm on Thursday. You can walk along the beach and to the end of the pier - provided the sea isn't too wild!

Lockwood Beck can be good for birds and has a nice walk around the edge of the reserervoir - one side is wooded. Though it can be hit and miss for birds. I've not been for a while or seen many reports from there. Usually there's Grey Waagtail on the outflow by the car park and usually in winter a flock of Brambling are in the trees by the fishing lodge. Lots of Red Grouse along the road to Commondale behind the reservoir as well.

There's a several footpaths around Hutton Village at Guisborough - it used to be a good spot in winter for Hawfinch and Lesser Spotted Woodpacker though non reported this winter. Still plenty of other birds though and one of the best spots in this area for seeing Jay.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back