• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yarner Wood NNR (1 Viewer)

john-henry

Hi all,

Got my passport ready and am having 4 days at Dawlish Warren from next Monday, I've heard of Yarner Wood but never visited so can anyone give me a few tips on the area and any other nearby good sites, am hoping to see Redstart, Wood Warbler and possibly L.S. Woody.

Any help appreciated

regards

John

PS. I know Dawlish Warren site and Topsham so OK for these.

Hi John

I'm assuming you know how to get to Yarner ?

Yarner Woods is an NNR and visitors are limited to the 'nature trails' but you can get through all the habitat types from these.

Wood Warbler should be nailed-on but my impression (maybe quite wrong) is they are declining here. Redstart is now pretty scarce and there may be better sites for this species, I hope someone here can let you know (if not then I suggest N Dartmoor above Belstone and Sticklepath).
LSW is recorded regularly at Yarner, apparently the area near the one and only hide is as good as anywhere.

The adjacent Trendlebere Down is also worth a look.

Hope this helps.

LSW can be a right pain at yarner, more often than not I jam into one when I'm not looking for it, and conversely fail to see them when I am looking for them. There is a path from the hide that winds its way up hill and then tracks parallel to the car park, he LSW's are sometimes up there. [ For LSW a lot oflocals scored at Hembury woods this year ] Wood warbler is fairly easy, just head out from the car park past the wooden buildings, listen for the call and then take your time locating them - they are often pretty high up. Hopefully they are in, or soon will be. Redstart can also be a problem, sometimes they show down below the hide, or you might bump into one on a walk around the reserve.

Dave and Matt,

Many thanks for your information, I'll post a note saying if I got lucky or not when I get back home.

Cheers

John

I went to Yarner this morning, had an excellent morning! 16 Pied Flys scattered throughout the wood (only two females though), at least two Wood Warblers, Tree Pipit on the common, with several Siskins and two Crossbills over. Also LSW drumming and calling just up the track from information hut on right hand side of path, but it remained invisible!

For photos and more Dartmoor info from today, see my blog later (link below)

Just to say thanks again to all for the info on Yarner Wood, had a great couple of hours there and managed 5 Wood Warblers singing, 3 male and 1 female Pied Fly's, including one male trying to entice a female into a nesting hole, LSW calling but not seen, plus a good selection of other woodland birds, great site, well worth several visits.

Thanks again.

John

Attachments

• piedfly-fem-2116.jpg
    piedfly-fem-2116.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 207
  • piedfly-male-2128.jpg
    piedfly-male-2128.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 203
  • wood-warbler-2045.jpg
    wood-warbler-2045.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 216
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back