• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Connection problems with Birdforum. (1 Viewer)

Reader

Since the last site upgrade I have had continual connection problems. I can get into the site ok but after looking at two or three posts I get the “Page cannot be displayed” come up and no matter what I try I can’t get back into the site until I completely shut down and restart. I have attached the page shown.

It doesn’t affect any other site I go into. When I get that message come up I can still go into all the other forums I am a member of and do all the other normal internet things as if there is nothing wrong but Birdforum, for some reason, will always come up with the “page cannot be displayed” error.

Today I only managed to look at 2 messages but on the third It went offline again.

Any ideas anyone?

If you do please don't be too technical. I am not the world's best IT expert around.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    68 KB · Views: 148
That sure sounds weird. Remember that clearing cache is needed if you are on Apple (Macintosh). Cache is cleared automatically on (almost all) PC's. I can only advice you to clear all cookies and other temporary internet files. Also try running ad-aware and then a full virus scan. It could also be, that you have set "settings" of IE (if that is what you use) to only be able to show certain certified pages. This does seem somewhat unlikely though, as I am sure you visit un-certified pages all the time. Also, then it shouldn't be possible to get on BirdForum at all. Anyway, as said, try clearing cache (if on Apple), delete cookies and other temporary internet files and run an ad-aware and virus scan. Also check that your firewall (if you have one of those) doesn't interfere with BirdForum. Finally it should be mentioned that BirdForum seem to be a relatively "heavy page" in terms of size. So, if your behind a slow connection it could give problems... Good Luck

Last edited:
Reader what operating system are you using?

I have been experiencing the exact same problem on my XP machine for a couple of weeks now with the 'page not found' occurring after a few mintues site access and very slow download of pages.

W98 doesn't seem to be affected at all and the pages load fairly quickly.

jeff said:
Have you tried deleting your cookies? And clearing your cache?

Already I have only managed to get through one thread before it all goes pear shaped again.

Jeff can you explain how I do what you have suggested please?

Rasmus

I haven't got an Apple so that part of your message doesn't relate to my problems. I always have my Virus checker (Norton Anti-virus) on and my settings haven't changed (or at least I haven't changed them) ever since I have been on Birdforum (almost a year ago). It all started to go wrong on the last site upgrade.

"delete cookies and other temporary internet files and run an ad-aware"

I must admit that I have never heard of ad-aware.

Can anyone tell me why is it only affecting Birdforum and nothing else that I use on the internet?

IanF said:
Reader what operating system are you using?

I have been experiencing the exact same problem on my XP machine for a couple of weeks now with the 'page not found' occurring after a few mintues site access and very slow download of pages.

W98 doesn't seem to be affected at all and the pages load fairly quickly.

Hi Ian

I am also using XP and so far in the last half hour I have only managed to open up one thread before it closes down. I have shut down and restarted 5 times already in that time.

In your case are you having problems with any other sites because the strange thing is that it is only happening to Birdforum and nothing else I go into.

Reader said:
Already I have only managed to get through one thread before it all goes pear shaped again.

Jeff can you explain how I do what you have suggested please?

Rasmus

I haven't got an Apple so that part of your message doesn't relate to my problems. I always have my Virus checker (Norton Anti-virus) on and my settings haven't changed (or at least I haven't changed them) ever since I have been on Birdforum (almost a year ago). It all started to go wrong on the last site upgrade.

"delete cookies and other temporary internet files and run an ad-aware"

Can anyone tell me why is it only affecting Birdforum and nothing else that I use on the internet?

Under Tools - Internet options - General you should see a Temporary Internet files section, click on the delete cookies button and delete temp. internet files.

I use Spybot S&D (an alternative to Ad-aware) http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

Reader said:
I always have my Virus checker (Norton Anti-virus) on and my settings haven't changed (or at least I haven't changed them) ever since I have been on Birdforum (almost a year ago). It all started to go wrong on the last site upgrade.

Ad-aware: http://www.lavasoft.de/
I personally prefer ad-aware over spybot, but when tested the two have usually been shown to be fairly equal - both seem to have pro's and con's. Anyway, I am a "security freak", meaning that I have both installed, as there does seem to be a few things Spybot finds that Ad-aware doesn't - and vice versa.

Remember to update your virus program regularly, otherwise it is close to being worthless. Norton is normally set to do this automatically when it detects a connection to the internet, however this can be changed. I presume your XP is set to automatically download updates, incl. for IE. Sometimes these updates change your settings. Also, the most recent update to BirdForum could have ment (without me knowing if that is the case) that there was a change regarding how the page is read by IE, hence giving you the new problems. What version of IE do you use (presuming you use the standard browser that came with your XP)? Do you have a firewall (remember that XP has a built in one)?

Last edited:
I have the same problems look at a few messages and then I'm locked out. Like you only happens on Birdforum. Have now deleted cookies to see what happens, if anything. :C

Last edited:
Reader said:

I've been having a root round on the web and it seems other forum web sites have users with similar/the same problems as you, so your not alone, they've even had the same problems with Netscape.

Another option is to perform a repair of Internet Explorer. From Control Panel select Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and highlight it. Click on the Add/Remove button. When the IE Tools menu comes up, select Repair. Click OK.

Or just limit yourself to viewing one post a day ;-)

PS. What version of IE are you using (Help - about IE)? I'm running 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633 on XP without any problems on broadband.

It might be worth downloading the lastest service pack if you haven't already.

Most site have suggested what we have already, not too sure if any solved the problem(s) for them though.

jeff said:
Under Tools - Internet options - General you should see a Temporary Internet files section, click on the delete cookies button and delete temp. internet files.

I use Spybot S&D (an alternative to Ad-aware) http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

It doesn't affect the problem, I cleared out all my cookies and temporary Internet files last night and it's as bad as ever tonoght. Funnily if I get past the first two or three pages that I read then I have no problems. But for example tonight I logged in earlier and when I tried to read this thread it completely froze me out.
My machine is running XP pro, is completely clean of viruses, worms or anything that should not be here. It's the most annoying feature of this site that I have found. I assumed it was just the site being overly busy and the server closing out my connection.

I have tried everything you guys suggested and then rebooted my PC. I managed to get into Birdforum then click onto latest posts but each time I clicked into any messages the page cannot be displayed message came up. I have tried about 10 times so far and each time that message came up,until now.

Looking at some of the responses so far it seems like quite a few people are suffering similar problems to me.

If I can't get to clear it up I'm afraid that i will have to stop using Birdforum and that is something I definitely don't want to do. I enjoy it so much but you can't keep on shutting down and restarting all night to try and get one or two posts through, that's crazy.

I find that I am having to type out all my replies on a word document then copy it onto Birdforum, if I do manage to get connected that far. If I lose connections I save the word document and reboot the PC until I manage to get connected far enough to allow me to reply to that thread using a copy of that word document.

I don't know how experienced you guys are, you seem experienced enough to me, but I think that this sounds like it could become a serious threat to this site if more people start getting similar problems as I am.

BTW I am on dial up. Are those people experiencing similar problems to me also on dial up or are some of you on broadband?

Just a small comment: I have just tried BirdForum using XP (without the usually inbuilt firewall; it's a bad firewall anyway)... no problems at all. I am on a T1 connection, but don't know if speed is the prob here...

Hi,

You could try adding birdforum.net under Tools/Internet Options then under the Privacy tab hit the 'Edit' button under 'Web sites'. Type birdforum.net in the address box and hit 'Allow'. Worth a try at least!

Rich.

Reader said:
Hi Ian

I am also using XP and so far in the last half hour I have only managed to open up one thread before it closes down. I have shut down and restarted 5 times already in that time.

In your case are you having problems with any other sites because the strange thing is that it is only happening to Birdforum and nothing else I go into.

The only site I have problems with is Bird Forum.

I have followed the advice above as regards Spybot S&D, clearing cookies and running defrag and disc clean - so I'm waiting to see if the problem recurs!

BTW I'm on Ntl 150 Broadband.

Last edited:
I have Windows 98SE and I've been having problems again (had problems before several weeks ago for a few days)

Pages slow to open - especially from 'go to first new post' - quicker to open thread and select page of thread and then scroll down

Other pages open OK so it's not every page but sometimes page won't open at all - the blue bar along the bottom gets most of the way over then stops. Using 'Back' and then 'Forward' buttons sometimes works.

Ditto in gallery - only some thumbnails appear but using 'Back' and 'Forward' or viewing a photo and then going 'Back' opens the page fully

Other websites seem OK

Done most of above suggestions. I am on dialup. Had trouble accessing again this morning. It is infuriating as this is such a good site. :C

I don't know if this will get through as a reply. This is my 6th attempt to try and get this working and at least my 12th attempt to go anywhere today. I either can't get into Birdforum at all or I get in, manage to get into new posts but when I select a thread it crashes or the most times I get into the thread and the load bar goes half way across then hangs for ages before crashing. This time It hanged for over 5 minutes before the pages appeared as my attachment. On the bottom of the attachment page not shown as i cut it off when I did print screen) it stated "page error".

This is now out of order as it appears that it probably isn't down to my PC but the compatibility of Birdforum to my PC. I don't want to lose Birdforum but it appears that Birdforum doesn't like my system and I can't afford to change my system so that I can get Birdforum.

Please, Please can someone like Green Fields get involved with this problem. Whoever takes this problem by the reins will probably have to e-mail me with instructions as it appears that I will have to stay away from Birdforum until this problem is solved (if ever it is).

Please help those of us that are also experiencing this problem.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    103 KB · Views: 120
Win2k here, with all the AV/Adware killer/Popup killer/Firewall enhancements installed. And I've been noticing an intermittent slowdown in the Birdforum site over the past month or so, but especially in the past week.

GR

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back