• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Win10 problem (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I have an old desktop PC running Win10. For a while now it has a habit that I find irritating.

At night, when I finish, I frequently just let the pc go to sleep by itself. However, for a while now the pc reactivates itself in the afternoon. It seems to check for updates and download during this time. By the way , the reactivation comes early in the period I have set as my active period (and therefore, download should really happen outside of my active time!). Irritatingly, it frequently ends up that the pc afterwards is impossible to get in touch with, hard restart being necessary.
Windows defender and malwarebytes don’t find anything problematic.

Any good ideas?
Niels

Can your PC be waked up by network? If so... can be bad news.

Forbid the auto updates in Windows configuration, or at least daily verification for update or report "home" activities.
A browser or othe apilcations also can check for updates. But I do not know of a browser capable to interrupt the Windows sleep.

Thanks. This pc is connected using Wi-Fi, not lan. The settings for the Wi-Fi don’t have a Wake on magic packet. The lan connector had this option enabled, so I disabled it.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back