• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South West Essex (1 Viewer)

The sniper

It seems to me that this area receives less coverage than many other areas
I live in the London Borough of Havering which is also considered Essex.
I class myself as an Essex person and all my lists are either Uk or essex connected.
I just want to start a thread where people can report local sightings in this area.
Not sure on any official boundaries but i would guess they would include the brentwood area,Havering,Thurrock,dagenham,redbridge,harlow to name a few,although i know some birders consider some of these areas as London ticks.I just want to start this as a bit of an info point for any local birders in the area.

4 common buzzards over south weald between 11-11.30am this morning
2 spotted flycatchers,coal tit,nuthatch,treecreeper also at south weald,bluebell pond 9am

Yesterday,6 buzzards high over hornchurch country park
Another 8 buzzards seen going south east over the park an hour later.
A quick 30 minute walk over the fields opposite my house bordering the country park resulted in 15 lapwing
3 red leg partridge
2 yellowhammer
sparrowhawk
male kestrel
finches
1 redwing (my first of autumn)
8 long tailed tits
1 fly over snipe

So far today have seen 4 buzzard south east over park,sparrowhawk in garden and 1 little egret over house
normal tits & finches on the feeders along with 2 dunnocks and a house sparrow

2 hour drive around the country lanes round my way

3 buzzard (2 at orsett fen,1 over gerpins lane tip)
1 little owl on telegraph pole near tip
kestrel
sparrowhawk
22 long tailed tits
finches other tits
4 yellowhammer
18 R L Partridge
coal tit in bushes opposite tip
fieldfare
redwing
song thrush

Hi. I live in Ilford, and have noticed a considerable increase in the diversity of birds in the area, in the last few years, particularly wildfowl. A lot of birds that I first thought were just passing through, have settled and bred, in my local park. And Common Buzzards are becoming more frequent visitors to the area. Even more so than Kestrels.

same here with regards to buzzards,even 3 or 4 years ago i would see buzzards maybe 5/6 times a year locally but now i see at least 1 a week.
It seems that the best areas are around brentwood,i regularly see them around the M25 by the M11 as well
With regards to Kestrels we still get many round here,i love watching them hunt

I am sure that it won't be too long, before a Red Kite is spotted in the area. I am not at all sure I didn't actually see one, over a field, near the Lea Valley Park, earlier this year.

Went for a long overdue walk through my local park, in Ilford, today. Common gulls almost outnumbered BH gulls. Otherwise, all the usual suspects. I still have to check my pictures to decide whether one goose I saw, was a Grey Lag or a Pink footed. There was no sign of the three Egyptian goose youngsters, so I assume that they must have been predated. Although the parents were grazing, close together, as usual. One amusing sight was three (believed to be) Bahama Pintails, swimming about in centipede formation. Literally nose to tail. A sad sight was the corpse of a goose, possibly the unique hybrid, floating on the top lake. A pair of Gt. Crested Grebes in full winter plumage, in stark contrast to one Black headed gull, still in full summer plumage.

Nothing outstanding, I know. But it's my patch, and I am proud of it.

What park is that,local patch is local patch and you are right to be proud of it,can't be too many places in ilford for birding as it's a very built up area but I am
Sure it has good birds turn up frequently

What park is that,local patch is local patch and you are right to be proud of it,can't be too many places in ilford for birding as it's a very built up area but I am
Sure it has good birds turn up frequently

I was referring to Valentines park. A five minute walk from my house. The goose turned out to be a Grey Lag. The pictures, taken with a small digital, were all deleted as woefully inadequate. I knew I should have taken the Nikon. We actually had seven species of duck, making an appearance on the lake, in 2007. And that didn't include two of the current residents.
I believe Ilford golf course has possibilities, and I have never got around to visiting Wanstead park.

I thought it may of been valentines park,it's nice there.Should imagine the golf course could throw up some good birds bring close to the river roding,I believe there is public access along it,wanstead is also good

The last couple of days I have mainly been housebound due to the snow and babysitting the 8 month old so I have spent most of my time looking out of the window.Have had quite a few birds as well as I live opposite the north end of ingrebourne valley reserve

Great spotted woodpecker (2)
Green woodpecker
Coal tit
Grey wagtail
Snipe (3 flying over)
Grey heron(2)
Redwing (3)
Fieldfare (2)
Mistle thrush
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Long tailed tits (12)
3 sparrowhawk
2 kestrel
Dunnock
Robin
Magpie
Wood pigeon
Carrion crow
Jackdaw
Great tit
Blue tit
Black head gull
Herring gull
Lesser black back gull
Common gull

caught up with the grey phalarope at grays riverside today,lovely bird
also 12 eiders on the thames
waxwing were also heard but we was unable to locate

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back