• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS 20d (Official as of today) (1 Viewer)

I knew there was something making me hold off from buying a 10D!

Now the leading questions will be: how long before we can get one, 'Emma Chizzit' and what price will 'old stock' of the 10D drop to?!

DP review say "fastest shutter speed up to 1/8000th second". When you look out the window on a day like today you have to smile!

Des.

Luckily I'm in a position to switch to Digital so the 20d is very appealing especially looking at the 0.2 second start up time and the fact that its no noisier than a 10d.

If I was a 10d owner though I'm not sure I would trade up, the 10 is a mighty fine camera from all accounts.

pity the 20d is still 1.6x crop though, 1.3x would have been nice, too close to a 1d mk11 though I suppose.

Rumours (dont you love em) are that Canon are going to launch an eos 3D to bridge the gap bewteen the 10/20d and the 1 series Cameras, And as Photokina is at the end of this month it might be worth waiting a little longer....

30 improvements over the 10d I read somewhere..
That sounds a good enough reason to upgrade!

Have to convince my other half though .... hmmm that might be a bit tricky :)

Keeping my 10D It works perfectly well and does all that I need it to do in digital photography. Like the look of the 75-300DO EOS lens though, now that is something that I aspire to. Steve I am a Number 1 Canon EOS fan also. |:d|

Last edited:
"Canon is promising that, because of the newly-developed noise processing and other sensor design changes that 20D noise levels at ISO 1600 will roughly match the 10D at ISO 400"

If that is true that is going to be unbelieveable!!

Geoff Brown said:
Keeping my 10D It works perfectly well and does all that I need it to do in digital photography. Like the look of the 75-300DO EOS lens though, now that is something that I aspire to.

Is it f3.5 to 5.6 or quicker?

The 20d was on display on the Canon stand at the Birdfair yesterday looked very nice 8 million pixels same as 1d,tried it with a 100-400 zoom handled superbly same price as 10d.I think the'll sell shed loads.

It fitted my hands like a glove at the Birdfair today!

As the only digital SLR that I had handled beforehand was the hefty Canon 1Ds I was amazed just how compact and light it was - somehow I'd imagined that it would be much bigger.

My wife was completely underwhelmed, though!

Adey most of us have one of those aswell,when i mentioned that i would like to get a 20d and 100-400zoom my wife replied well i'll have 2grand to spend as well.

Blimey, I must have done well to persuade my other half!!
Just got to wait for it to go on sale now!!
(and not run out of stock in 2 seconds as well.)

Hurry up mid-september :)

70-300mm DO IS

Geoff Brown said:
Sorry got that wrong should be 70-300mm DO IS f/4.5 - 5.6. Its half the size(and weight)of the "old" 75-300mm but twice the price. ;)

Dont bother Geoff, I bought one when the first came out earlier this year and returned it 2 weeks later. Its not half as sharp as Canon like to make out though it is smaller and lighter. I had to stop it down to at least f11 to get any decent sharpness which makes having the IS a little bit of a waste of time. Compared to the older 75-300 IS the image quality is not that much better. It does do a good job with the chromatic abberation and I was impressed with that but overall, not anywhere near worth the money.

Spuggie

spuggie said:
Dont bother Geoff, I bought one when the first came out earlier this year and returned it 2 weeks later. Its not half as sharp as Canon like to make out though it is smaller and lighter. I had to stop it down to at least f11 to get any decent sharpness which makes having the IS a little bit of a waste of time. Compared to the older 75-300 IS the image quality is not that much better. It does do a good job with the chromatic abberation and I was impressed with that but overall, not anywhere near worth the money.

Spuggie
Thanks Spuggie, You could have saved me making an expensive mistake.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back