• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NEX 5 warning (1 Viewer)

bkrownd

When I got my NEX 5 I put some protective cling film on the screen to protect the glass and blue coating. The other day the corner of the film caught inside the camera sleeve and peeled up a bit at the corner. To my horror, the blue coating was coming off with the protective film! On the area of the screen that the cling film has peeled away from so far about 40% of the coating has come up with the film, in a crazy random pattern. Now it's really hard to see what's displayed on the screen. Arrrrgh!

Last edited:
I haven't had such an issue myself - I've got the Sony protective film on my NEX3, but haven't ever attempted to peel it off - as long as it's done carefully and slowly, it shouldn't be a problem. Yours was an unfortunate fast tug or pull that probably was why it got peeled off.

FYI - there are apparently some ways of dealing with it. Look into 'ggs' glass protective covers. I've heard of many who removed the remaining portion of the tru-black coating, then put one of these glass replacement covers on the LCD. If I started to suffer some of the tru-black coating peeling away, I'd probably remove the rest and put one of these on, rather than try to see through half-removed coatings!

Are you serious? The coating peeled off because it bonded to the film, not because of how fast/slow the film came up. This is a serious issue that people should be aware of, not dismissed as if I somehow screwed it up with fumbling fingers.

Yes, I'm serious, and no, I didn't dismiss anything. The coating came off, that's a fact. How or why is up to the circumstances - maybe it was that all coatings on NEXes are weak or faulty, maybe it was the brand of protective film you used, maybe your NEX was a lemon or had an issue, maybe it was how it came off...no way to really know any of that. Since there haven't been a rash of complaints on all the camera forums about protective films peeling off the coating from the LCDs, it certainly doesn't seem to be a common or widespread problem or general manufacturing issue applicable to all NEX cameras. I was offering you a way to 'fix' your camera to work around the problem you already have - however anyone in the past has ever had their coatings peeled, many opted to use the GGS glass replacement panels. If you'd like to continue using your now-damaged NEX, you can try this method...or not. That's all it was - a helpful suggestion on how to deal with the problem, not a critique of how it happened. Best of luck with it, whatever you decide to do about it...and hopefully others can take some precaution putting protective covers/films on the LCD based on your experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back