• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 8x20 dissection (The beauty) (2 Viewers)

How can I get them?
Generic caps are easy to find. For a folding model like this, a good solution might be individual ones, such as sold for telescope eyepieces... but this isn't waterproof, so how much rain will it see? And various small photo pouches can fit pocket bins well.

Dorubird:
Dissection. That means you take it apart and show the details and the parts. Is that forthcoming ?
Jerry

NDhunter,
Yes. But with quotation marks " 🩺 ", with the meaning of detailed inspection of optical/mechanical performance and design! 🩻
I did "dissections" of other binoculars as well :D (Habicht, SF, MHG)

NDhunter,
Yes. But with quotation marks " 🩺 ", with the meaning of detailed inspection of optical/mechanical performance and design! 🩻
I did "dissections" of other binoculars as well :D (Habicht, SF, MHG)
And I liked them a lot! I wish you have had time with more binoculars. :) They were all very helpful.

I use an Oakley sunglasses bag, and it works a treat.
Got the idea from someone else on here.
Adds nothing to the size when in your pocket, but protects the lenses(y)
Isn't it a bit oversized? I found a sunglasses bag, but it looks so big for this small pocket bin. Glasses are of course quite a bit longer than the Leica 8x20.

Generic caps are easy to find. For a folding model like this, a good solution might be individual ones, such as sold for telescope eyepieces... but this isn't waterproof, so how much rain will it see? And various small photo pouches can fit pocket bins well.
I don't understand why they are not waterproof. Can you explain? Maybe I don't understand what you mean with individual caps. Like the ultravid 8x20 has? Two separated caps?
And what do you mean with photo pouches?

ReinierB, enjoy your Trinovid!!!​

Trinovid 8x20 is a perfect pocket binocular. I like its design even more than the Ultravid design. Leica knows how to make these pocket binoculars extremely robust with mechanics without weaknesses. Not like I've heard about other new models, (that had just released on the market!), and that have already had focus wheel problems reported.

Thanks!
How did you put the trinovid in your pocket? Without any cap or pouch?

I like it's design and it's looks. But I think the ultravid 8x20 is just a tiny bit better looking :).

Thank you dorubird!!
I am leaning to this binocular in my search for a truly pocket one...No mater the Zeiss 8x25 VP some optic advantages, I am looking for a really small top quality pocket binocular significantly smaller than my Meopta Meostar 8x32. Will see....

I have the 10x25 UV BR. I also recently bought and then returned an 8x25 VP.
I have both a very narrow IPD (< 55mm) and small hands (size 7 glove).

I found it hard to reach the VP's focuser with my right (dominant) hand. That's not a problem with the UV. Also, if you want to use a pocket to store the bino when you are not actively using it - in my experience - the VP's hinge gets caught up most of the time and it doesn't slip in/out of the pocket smoothly or easily; the Leica are able to do that no sweat.

I know that I didn't have direct apple-to-apple being a 10x vs. an 8x - but in my testing and use, the 10x25 UV was capable of resolving more detail than the 8x25 VP. Also, when I took it to my well frequented duck location - the difference in magnification was clear (which is often not the case when I compare optics) and the huge FOV difference was also not very apparent and to my preference - I preferred the UV's magnification/FOV combo.

So, taking those differences and preferences together - I kept the UV and returned the VP, even though I had picked up both for a nice discount to list, I had paid about $100 less for the UV than the VP.

I believe that (in the USA) the Leica Passport Service (warranty) is also better: Zeiss is only 5 years and only applies to original purchaser; compare that to Leica:

All Leica Sport Optic products shipped from Leica Camera Inc. to an authorized USA or Canadian dealer since Jan 1, 2021 will now feature a fully transferable 10-year Passport Protection Plan plus a 30-year Manufacturer’s Warranty. Both aspects of our commitment to you compromise the following:
  • Fully Transferable
  • No Warranty Card Required
  • No Receipt Required
  • No Charge
  • Valid only on products purchased from authorized Leica dealers in USA or Canada*

The VP are noticeably larger than the UV; initially I thought that could be a plus as it initially made the VP a bit easier to handle and use (for me). In the end, I found not a lot of difference in the handling - other than the much longer reach to the focuser and the noticeable hinge drawback to smooth insertion/removal from pockets.

I'm no fan of the diopter button on the UV. I find that I can bump into in when using/holding the optic and that annoys me.

Also, when I check out Jupiter and its moons - I found that the UV gave me a view that I preferred and it also was able to give me all 4 moons during a tricky viewing situation where the VP struggled more on that session. I'm not saying it was easy viewing with either, but the UV gave me a better experience on that night.

Last edited:
Isn't it a bit oversized? I found a sunglasses bag, but it looks so big for this small pocket bin. Glasses are of course quite a bit longer than the Leica 8x20.
20231212_161825.jpg20231212_161854.jpg20231212_162626.jpg
Nah.... just perfect.... the caps are too fiddly... this works a treat and protects the lenses... i'm fanatical about that....
The Oakley ones are internally lens cloths so your lenses will be fine.
It's the Oakley bag for pockets, and the Lowepro for a rucksack, or general storage when not using.

Thanks!
How did you put the trinovid in your pocket? Without any cap or pouch?

I like it's design and it's looks. But I think the ultravid 8x20 is just a tiny bit better looking :).
Thanks!
I didn't carry it directly in my pocket. I kept it in a little case from a Lumix camera ( see it in the last photo)
When we refer about the compact Trinovid series we have to refer to exactly which model we are referring to, because they are very different optically due to the improvements of the anti-reflection layers over the years. It's like some old Swarovski models: with or without Swarodur coating.
All three Trinovids have an overwhelming simplicity of design and top notch mechanics in the smallest size you can have!
The 1988 version amazes me with its elegance, natural clarity during the day and a very comfortable pleasant image for such an ultra-compact binoculars.
The new variants have even higher optical performance, with a brutal clarity, I would say almost unnatural clarity.
View attachment 1388183

Below is a comparison of three Trinovides
Leica Trinovid 8x20 BC (1988)/ Leica Trinovid 8x20 BCA (2020)/ Leica Trinovid 10x25 BCA (2007)
Construction and technical aspects

Bino 8x20 BC/ 8x20 BCA/ 10x25 BCA

Finish and Design 3/2 /2

Field of view 3/ 3/ 2

Eye relief 2/ 2/ 2

Min. focus distance 3/ 3/ 2

Weight 220g/ 225g/ 250g

Scores 11*/ 10*/ 8*

Optical performance

Bino---------------------------------------------- 8x20 BC-----8x20 BCA------10x25 BCA

Center Resolution (same target distance) 1/ 2/ 3

Border Resolution 2/ 2/ 2

Contrast 1/ 3/ 3

Brightness during the day 1/ 3/ 3

Brightness in the dark and at night 1/ 2/ 3

Flare resistance 2/ 2/ 2

White rendering 1/ 3/ 3

Chromatic aberrations 3/ 3/ 3

Distortions 3/ 3/ 3

Optical score 14*/ 23*/ 25*

Total score 25*/ 33*/ 33*
View attachment 1388184
View attachment 1388185
View attachment 1388186
View attachment 1388187
View attachment 1388188
View attachment 1388189

Last edited:
Hi fazalmajid,

I am intrigued by all these KOWA GENESIS binoculars. Never have had one in my hands...Thank you!

PHA
The kowa are indeed very appealing to get. They on paper have even better close focus than the UV. However their downfall for me is that they seem to be super heavy. The UV are apparently significantly lighter.

The kowa are indeed very appealing to get. They on paper have even better close focus than the UV. However their downfall for me is that they seem to be super heavy. The UV are apparently significantly lighter.
I've looked through Kowa Genesis.... CA control is superb, image was good, but I would put it firmly in the £1000 catagory.... exactly where it is!!
I don't think it punches above its' weight, I don't think it outperforms a Conquest, they are all similar in optical quality, but with different 'flavours'.
The only binocular I thought punched well above its weight was the Meopta Meostar.... but that was before the seemingly recent price hikes.
I would say they are now sat where they should be, above the 1K group, but below the 2k-3k lot.
Just my take on it (y)

I've looked through Kowa Genesis.... CA control is superb, image was good, but I would put it firmly in the £1000 catagory.... exactly where it is!!
I don't think it punches above its' weight, I don't think it outperforms a Conquest, they are all similar in optical quality, but with different 'flavours'.
The only binocular I thought punched well above its weight was the Meopta Meostar.... but that was before the seemingly recent price hikes.
I would say they are now sat where they should be, above the 1K group, but below the 2k-3k lot.
Just my take on it (y)
Thanks for sharing. It's a pity about the Meopta indeed. Perhaps we will finally get the B2s when they are done milking the B1+.

Also just for clarity, I was referring to the pocket bins variation 8x20 or 8x22. On paper, I think the close focus is 1.5m kowa and 1.8m UV. However there's like 60g+ difference in weight, I believe. Pinac once shared a picture on here showing the pocket kowas. They looked nice but weren't what one might call "sleek" or "trim".

Edit: I misspoke. The UV close focus is 1.8m not 1.5m and the kowa is 1.5m not 1.3m

Last edited:
Hi fazalmajid,

I am intrigued by all these KOWA GENESIS binoculars. Never have had one in my hands...Thank you!
I got to try one at Birdfair, as yes, they are rather hard to find on demo. Very nice build quality and of course optics. I didn’t have my Ultravid 8x20BL or Victory Pocket 8x25 to compare them against. If I hadn’t also just splurged on a Nikon Z 100-400mm lens, I would have gotten them in 10x magnification.
Yes, they’re even heavier than the VP 8x25. Much wider FOV than the Ultravids, though, and even the VP, but not as easy on eye placement as the VP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back