• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 8x20 dissection (The beauty) (1 Viewer)

ReinierB,
I sold my new Trinovid with 300euro and put another 100euro to buy this used Ultravid. I practically exchanged without much extra money! If this opportunity had not arisen, probably I would have been satisfied with Trinovid also. But it is definitely worth switching from Trinovid to Ultravid if you can find at good price. The mechanical quality and finishes quality are very similar, but Ultravid is water resistant. Optical quality differences are greater than mechanical quality differences. The much higher contrast, more glare resistant and better clarity on the edges are the main Ultravid optical advantages. The ergonomics and ease of viewing is also better thanks to the much larger and comfortable focus wheel. It's even bigger and comfortable than the Zeiss Victory 8x25 one! (We pay this with little bigger folded volum than Trinovid). I noticed that the diameter of the eyepiece lenses is 1 mm larger than the Trinovid, which translates into a slightly larger eye relief.
I use this Ultravid more often than I originally imagined!

Last edited:
I love my 8x20 UV, the ergonomics are amazing for the tiny size and the build quality + industrial design is in another class from any competitor. It is also very rugged and I am unconcerned throwing it in my pocket or in a bag without a protective case.

Having owned the Zeiss 8x25 VP, I do think a slightly larger single hinge is superior ergonomically for actual use, but the "pocket portability" advantages of the tiny 8x20 with double hinges is a better compromise for me. And the Leica construction/design makes it the highest quality execution of the double-hinge design I've used, nearly every other I've handled ends up with uneven tension, one side is floppy, etc. The Leicas have perfect tension, easy to move when needed but firm enough to stay in place while in use, and they have stayed tight over time despite reasonably frequent use.

Plus, the optics are close to perfection; yes the FOV isn't great but that's an easy sacrifice for a backup/emergency optic where portability is maximized. And it helps that what's there is nearly perfectly corrected almost to the edge of the FOV. My feeling is that if you need a wide, lush FOV for extended, comfortable viewing, you wouldn't be using your 20mm pocket binocular (I use my 7x42 for "real birding"). In all other respects -- resolution, edge-to-edge clarity, color saturation, contrast, glare control, color fringing, etc -- they are essentially best-in-class optically.

My only "if I could wave a magic wand" nitpicks:
  • The common issue of tiny eyecups + long eye relief to accommodate eyeglass-wearers... but I've developed a good system for getting quick, consistent views over time so less of an issue lately
  • The market obsession with 8x... exit pupil size is the loser of the market trends, I would prefer these were 7x21 like the Curio
  • Click-out eyecups tend to collapse when pushed into a pocket/bag, leading to inadvertent fingerprint smudgies on the ocular lenses when I grab them out... not really a flaw or bad design, they are perfectly stable in actual use, but it would be nice if they locked in the extended position to provide some protection for the ocular lenses
One other benefit I've not often seen mentioned -- they are very easy to use as a pseudo-monocular for quick views. I frequently use them this way when on the move but wanting to grab a quick look; I leave them folded up with the whole thing in my fist and quickly stick one side up to my eye, using the index finger to focus. They are so small and light that I see no need to buy a separate monocular.

My Leica family photo :)

1701200676737.png

I love my 8x20 UV, the ergonomics are amazing for the tiny size and the build quality + industrial design is in another class from any competitor. It is also very rugged and I am unconcerned throwing it in my pocket or in a bag without a protective case.

Having owned the Zeiss 8x25 VP, I do think a slightly larger single hinge is superior ergonomically for actual use, but the "pocket portability" advantages of the tiny 8x20 with double hinges is a better compromise for me. And the Leica construction/design makes it the highest quality execution of the double-hinge design I've used, nearly every other I've handled ends up with uneven tension, one side is floppy, etc. The Leicas have perfect tension, easy to move when needed but firm enough to stay in place while in use, and they have stayed tight over time despite reasonably frequent use.

Plus, the optics are close to perfection; yes the FOV isn't great but that's an easy sacrifice for a backup/emergency optic where portability is maximized. And it helps that what's there is nearly perfectly corrected almost to the edge of the FOV. My feeling is that if you need a wide, lush FOV for extended, comfortable viewing, you wouldn't be using your 20mm pocket binocular (I use my 7x42 for "real birding"). In all other respects -- resolution, edge-to-edge clarity, color saturation, contrast, glare control, color fringing, etc -- they are essentially best-in-class optically.

• The common issue of tiny eyecups + long eye relief to accommodate eyeglass-wearers... but I've developed a good system for getting quick, consistent views over time so less of an issue lately
  • The market obsession with 8x... exit pupil size is the loser of the market trends, I would prefer these were 7x21 like the Curio
  • Click-out eyecups tend to collapse when pushed into a pocket/bag, leading to inadvertent fingerprint smudgies on the ocular lenses when I grab them out... not really a flaw or bad design, they are perfectly stable in actual use, but it would be nice if they locked in the extended position to provide some protection for the ocular lenses
One other benefit I've not often seen mentioned -- they are very easy to use as a pseudo-monocular for quick views. I frequently use them this way when on the move but wanting to grab a quick look; I leave them folded up with the whole thing in my fist and quickly stick one side up to my eye, using the index finger to focus. They are so small and light that I see no need to buy a separate monocular.

View attachment 1546052
That pretty much sums up my take on these Ultravids...
They're are a bit awkward, double hinge etc.... but they more than make up for this with the optics, build quality, and crazy portability.
Get 'em in your pocket and go.... awesome (y)

Last edited:

Eitan,

Great idea and a money saver to boot.

Mike

I found a good offer for a nearly new trinovid 8x20 BCA. Shall I go for it? I like the idea of not having the most expensive binoculars in my pocket (leaving my jacket in wardrobes etc.) and I think it's the tiniest/lightest of all the "premium" pockets. I like the idea of 8 power as well (still reluctant buying the 7x21 because of that reason)
Or will I regret it? Leaving a curio or ultravid in my pocket all the time is kind of scary. Just thinking out loud...

I found a good offer for a nearly new trinovid 8x20 BCA. Shall I go for it? I like the idea of not having the most expensive binoculars in my pocket (leaving my jacket in wardrobes etc.) and I think it's the tiniest/lightest of all the "premium" pockets.
I have an 8x20 Leitz that is still a useful binocular and anything Leica is better yet. If you can get a good price there’s not much risk in giving them a try.
The minimalist proportions is one of the things that I really do enjoy about the tiny Leitz.

I have an 8x20 Leitz that is still a useful binocular and anything Leica is better yet. If you can get a good price there’s not much risk in giving them a try.
The minimalist proportions is one of the things that I really do enjoy about the tiny Leitz.
Thanks! € 350 is offered... double the price and I can get a new Curio :unsure:

Why is your name Trinovid actually? Because you leic the Trinovids?

View attachment 1546052
Really nice trio! Add a UHVD 10 or 12x50 and you have covered all the ground (imho, because I like higher magnifications).

I found a good offer for a nearly new trinovid 8x20 BCA. Shall I go for it? I like the idea of not having the most expensive binoculars in my pocket (leaving my jacket in wardrobes etc.) and I think it's the tiniest/lightest of all the "premium" pockets. I like the idea of 8 power as well (still reluctant buying the 7x21 because of that reason)
Or will I regret it? Leaving a curio or ultravid in my pocket all the time is kind of scary. Just thinking out loud...
Reinier,

Given what you say, I vote you get the BCA. Prices seem to vary considerably on used models so a "good offer" seems worth the risk that you may eventually want to upgrade to an UV. Just my tuppence.

Mike

Why is your name Trinovid actually? Because you leic the Trinovids?
That’s what my parents chose to name me. :)

But seriously, it was mostly laziness in thinking up a name, coupled with the fact I’d just recently bought my first binocular, a Leitz 8x32b, which I no longer have.

For a time there, I had nothing but Leitz/Leica, and still mostly so, though I bought the 7x21 Curio as my only new purchase, and now also have a couple of Vortex Vipers.

I just got the Trinovid 8x20m with a few traces of usage, but I do not care. Now I do not have to pamper them and just put them in my (jacket) pocket without hesitation. I do miss rainguards though, to protect the eyepieces. I know the eyecaps of the uv 8x20 will fit the trinovid (although not really tight). How can I get them? I know Swarovski will send all the spareparts I need, but does Leica do that as well?

I like the trinovids! I sold the Terra 8x25, because they are too big/heavy for my jacket and they felt cheap to me. I didn't like the armor, the eyecups and the loose hinges. The trinovids feel way less cheap in my hands. Stiff hinges, nice feeling.
The view through the trinovids is better than the view through the terra imo. Just a bit sharper.
And yes, they are finicky! Really small in all dimensions. The eyecups are smaller too. In that way the terra 8x25 is more comfortable.

I like them and I will keep them. I do not really mind the small focuser and the view is better than expected, so I feel no temptation in swapping them for an ultravid 8x20. The only reason I might swap them for the ultravid's is that the eyecups of the ultravids are a bit larger, so a bit more comfortable I think.

The only thing I miss now is a rainguard or a soft pouch for (sun) glasses. That might work too.

1702299230812.png

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 15.04.46.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 15.04.46.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 5

ReinierB, enjoy your Trinovid!!!​

Trinovid 8x20 is a perfect pocket binocular. I like its design even more than the Ultravid design. Leica knows how to make these pocket binoculars extremely robust with mechanics without weaknesses. Not like I've heard about other new models, (that had just released on the market!), and that have already had focus wheel problems reported.

I use an Oakley sunglasses bag, and it works a treat.
Got the idea from someone else on here.
Adds nothing to the size when in your pocket, but protects the lenses(y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back