• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrel Noise (1 Viewer)

Benjismum

We live right next to a wood and often hear unidentified screeching noises which we think is a Little Owl, but last night just before dark we heard a really loud squawking - it sounded like a cross between a goose and Donald Duck!

After much searching with the bins to try and find which bird had been caught by a predator, we saw a grey squirrel sat on a low branch making all the racket. We know it was the squirrel, as it's tail moved in time to it's screeches.

I have never heard sounds like this from squirrels, I thought they just chattered - is this a normal sound? It wasn't being attacked or anything, but appeared to be looking to the ground - would it be a warning call to another animal? do they do this?

Thanks for any info

I haven't heard any squirrels make the noise you descibed, but once I heard a squirrel making noises like a cat! I thought there was a cat up in a tree until I found the squirrel.

Benjismum said:
We live right next to a wood and often hear unidentified screeching noises which we think is a Little Owl, but last night just before dark we heard a really loud squawking - it sounded like a cross between a goose and Donald Duck!

After much searching with the bins to try and find which bird had been caught by a predator, we saw a grey squirrel sat on a low branch making all the racket. We know it was the squirrel, as it's tail moved in time to it's screeches.

I have never heard sounds like this from squirrels, I thought they just chattered - is this a normal sound? It wasn't being attacked or anything, but appeared to be looking to the ground - would it be a warning call to another animal? do they do this?

Thanks for any info

Oh yeah and a right old racket they make, especially when they decide to have a fight, we have squirrels at the bottom of our garden, some days they go off at anything, squawking and snarling.

Benjismum said:
We know it was the squirrel, as it's tail moved in time to it's screeches.

Thanks for any info
Sorry, I just saw your post today! We have a tree squirrel (Abert's, one of the tufted-eared species) that does just what yours do: "barks" and twitches its tail and sometimes stamps one of its forefeet with each bark. We've started calling this our "DEW" squirrel: Dog Early Warning (in honor of the Distant Early Warning acronym from the ICBM '50s ;)).

It never fails but when this barking starts, there's either a feral cat or stray dog that's come onto the property enabling me to chase it off before it does any bird or feeder damage. It's funny but he never "barks" when the coyote comes around on its daily "patrol" of the fence's perimeter. Maybe the squirrel knows the coyote *belongs* and the two roaming domestic species don't?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back