• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To reflect or not to reflect (1 Viewer)

mdb2

hi all, looking for opinions on the subject of reflectors. I have been toying with the idea to purchase a small reflector, not only to reflect but as a small wind blocker, please, regards. Mike

I had a big people size Lastolite reflector that worked well but needed an assistant to use outdoors, however for macro I have always taken the DIY approach & used white card etc. They can be quite useful as long as the subject will stay put, such as flowerrs, fungi etc.

As I have a 'grey card' for critical metering, the reverse is white and the A4/10x8 sizes are about right for use as a small macro reflector. They also cost about the same as a small reflector, however reflectors fold up smaller and are more convenient to lug around and come in bigger sizes, which even for macro can be useful.

The effect is more natural than many macro flash units, unfortunately I seem to be getting lazy since I went digital and have been able to get much what I want other ways for many shots.

thanks for your reply, the lastolight is small ish 12". Would you consider that to be too large? It's for butterflies and general insects. It also comes in several colours. Advice appreciated. Kind regards. Mike

Hi Mike,

I tended to stick to white for a soft fill in, silver reflects more light but can be a bit harsh.

The problem you have with anything living is that they have a habit of going the moment you try and stage a photograph, butterflies in particular, so you need some means of anchoring the reflector quickly.

I have seen a someone mount an arm on the tripod just for that reason.

Also for that reason I would think that you would find anything less than 12 inches a pain to set up as it requires less precision than anything smaller and will cast a better light.

Personally I would experiment with a bit of cardboard faced with white printer paper before committing cash, this would allow you to see what works best for you. I suppose a folded Lastolite still reflects light, I have never tried, but I suspect that it isn't worth the hassle.

The other point you raised of using the reflector as a wind break, the 12 inch would be about the minimum to be any good, however from my experience with the big Lastolites, you will probably find that you need a windbreak for the windbreak or at least a very rigid mount for it. Hence the assistant for my big one!

With anything that moves I have variable power macro flash, which is not ideal, but more certain than trying to rig a reflector.

Like a lot of wildlife photography there are few easy solutions which is why you see so many artificial 'tank' setups used for wildlife films that must get their shot. At least the subject matter is still alive even if it is in a very confined space between two sheets of glass!

hi, that's a good point about the windbreak needing support, think I will try some white paper on cardboard first. by the way I had an informative chat whilst out trying to get anything interesting in the way of macro. apparently this guy catches the insects in a small container and takes them home for convenience to shoot later. Interesting idea. i am afraid my Mrs would go ape!! Kind regards. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back