• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacing SE eyecups? (1 Viewer)

Rich N

I noticed the rubber eyecups on my Nikon 12x50 SE are beginning to crack where they fold. Do any dealers carry the Nikon eyecups for the SEs? Can you get them from Nikon?

Thank you,
Rich

Rich N said:
I noticed the rubber eyecups on my Nikon 12x50 SE are beginning to crack where they fold. Do any dealers carry the Nikon eyecups for the SEs? Can you get them from Nikon? Thank you, Rich

John Traynor can provide you some advice.

How long have you had your 12x50? I'm curious to know how long it took for your eyecups to crack. My SE eyecups are still in good shape, though a bit distorted from pressure against my face. I do not fold them, though.

Rich N said:
I noticed the rubber eyecups on my Nikon 12x50 SE are beginning to crack where they fold. Do any dealers carry the Nikon eyecups for the SEs? Can you get them from Nikon?

Thank you,
Rich

I'm sure you can get these from Nikon USA. I bought extra dust caps from Nikon, over the phone. Give them a call.
Doug

Thanks very much folks. I will check Nikon USA.

I bought the 12x SE new but I'm not sure exactly when. Maybe 5 years ago?

Rich

Has anyone found a compatible alternative from another manufacturer? I would prefer something err... less flexible.

Ilkka

What about using a small section of rubber hose for a less flexible eyecup? Maybe you could find something at an automotive supply store.

Rich

My issue with the SE 8x32 eyecups is not flexibility, but their depth. To fit my face, I have to press the eyecups against it slightly in order to get the full view offered by the binocular. Eyecups that were about 2mm shorter would work much better for me. Does anybody know if the shorter eyecups on the Nikon E2 would fit the SE?

Jonathan B. said:
My issue with the SE 8x32 eyecups is not flexibility, but their depth. To fit my face, I have to press the eyecups against it slightly in order to get the full view offered by the binocular. Eyecups that were about 2mm shorter would work much better for me. Does anybody know if the shorter eyecups on the Nikon E2 would fit the SE?

You can't roll the eyecups on your 8x32SE virtually flat? Or, is that still not enough?

Rich

Gosh folks,

Try folding the SE's eyecups all the way down and not using them at all. The SE is so light it's very easy to do and the method has worked very well for the few SE owners I've shown it to. You can get a rock solid view, long fatigue-free viewing times, and no blackouts. If you can't figure out a good position sans floppy eyecups, just ask.

John

Jonathan B. said:

I think this just shows how our needs differ and that the present eyecups of the SEs don't seem to have the "right kind" of flexibility. My problem is that I press the eyecups against my cheekbones so tightly that my not-so-deep-set eyes become too close to the eyepiece, which causes black-outs. Yes, I could (and sometimes do) roll the rubber all the way down, but the binos are mainly used by my wife, who does not want to do that - and I don't want to roll them back and forth very often. I wish Nikon incorporated the similar eyecups in the SEs that they use in the LX/HGs (maybe with a couple of intermediary clicks).

If I'll find a functional replacement, I will report it here :t:

Ilkka

iporali said:
Yes, I could (and sometimes do) roll the rubber all the way down, but the binos are mainly used by my wife, who does not want to do that - and I don't want to roll them back and forth very often. Ilkka

Obvious (but expensive) solution - one of you adds binoculars to your Christmas list! ;)

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Obvious (but expensive) solution - one of you adds binoculars to your Christmas list! ;)
Thanks for a tempting idea, Elizabeth - unfortunately I have used that one already ;) I have a pair of 10x32HGs, which I prefer in most cases and which is all I am ever going to need. I just keep borrowing her SEs because a) their view is so great, b) they are 8x power (the very reasons why we bought them).

Warm regards,
Ilkka

----
Dear Santa,
I would like to have binoculars with adjustable eyecups that have two intermediate clicks - please feel free to make a choice for me... :scribe:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back