• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simple Questions about Experiences (1 Viewer)

billmell

Hi. I am new to BirdForum. I am a casual bird watcher on Califonia's north coast (in the redwoods with ocean 1/2- mile away) near Mendocino and on the southwest coast of Mexico.

My old Orion binoculars disappeared. Like many other, I am very frustrated by Internet info on new ones.

Instead of asking your opinions about specific models, I would like people who bought binoculars in 2004 who are very happy or sad about the models they bought to report the models, price (optional), and reasons for positive or negative. My main specs are simple: near focus 2m or less; list price under $300 with discounts to under $200; and, really good images. Thanks.
Billmell

Hello bill and welcome to Birdforum.net

I'm sure some folk will be around soon to give you the heads up on their particular bin purchases. For the record I just bought the new Zeiss 8x42 FL's, and I don't have anything negative to say about them!

Regards

Greetings Bill - and welcome to the forum!

Most of what I purchased in 2004 were high-end binoculars with price tags between $500 and $1000, but I did purchase 2 pair that might be in your price range or slightly more expensive.

First off, I wanted a nice compact binocular for hiking, unexpected visits from curious birds, and keeping in the car during road trips. I looked at every compact model available locally, and ended up selecting the Zeiss Victory 8x20 Compact to fill this role. I've been so happy with these binoculars, they currently have the distinction of being my most used binoculars all around. At $379, they are slightly high for your price range, and they do have limitations (including being next to useless during late evening when the light fades). However, they have so many good things going for them that I would highly recommend you take a look at a pair and see if you might be able to come up with the extra $80 to afford them.

The other pair I have purchased this year that are on the "low end" of the price scale is a pair of Barska 10x42 waterproof roof prism binoculars. I bought these 3 days ago for $60, and so far I have been absolutely astonished with the quality of these binoculars considering the low price and Chinese origin. I wrote a review of these binoculars, and posted a link to them on this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=24708

My review is the 3rd posting down on the thread.

Best wishes, and good luck with your selection!
Bawko

Hi Billmell,

Last month I bought a Zeiss 10x42 FL in Mendocino. I think the shop is called Out of This World. I was switching between their Leica 10x42 Ultravid and their 10x42 FL. It was a close call but I went with the Zeiss FL. I've had it out birding several times and out doing amateur astronomy. I'm very happy with my Zeiss 10x42 FL.

The store in Mendocino has an outstanding selection of binoculars. I'm sure they must have some very good binoculars for around $300.

What a beautiful part of the California coast.

Good luck,
Rich

Last edited:
Billmell, you're going to have a difficult time finding something that meets your requirements within your price range. I'm not going to push Leica or Zeiss on you, but you might want to increase your price limit to, say, $400. In addition to owning a new Zeiss 8x42 FL (like Helen's), I also have an Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class ($379), and my wife has a Minolta 8x42 WP, which I don't think is a current model anymore. The Minolta cost about the same as the EO. It and the EO are virtually identical optically. Both of these instruments have given many hours of pleasure. They are sharp -- at least in the middle -- and they focus close, the EO down to about 1.5m. By contrast, while I was at a birding event during the summer, another birder asked to compare my EORPC to a Celestron Outland 10x42 ($99) that she had been loaned by one of the vendors. The Celestron focused no closer than about 20 ft, and it was otherwise decidedly inferior to the EORPC in every way. So there we have two bins costing about $379 that are good and one costing $99 that is not good. Where the crossover from bad to good occurs between these two price levels, I can't say. I hasten to mention that Celestron sells some very nice bins, but the Outland model isn't one of them.

Hi Bill! On behalf of the staff here at Birdforum, a warm welcome to you.

I see you are getting some good answers. Hope your search for the perfect pair of bins is successful.

John Traynor's comment at the link makes a good point: a decent porro-prism binocular is more likely at $200 than a good roof-prism. You're probably not going to get close focus, though. Check carefully for good collimation. Poor collimation is a common fault of cheap bins -- and evidently all too frequent with expensive ones!

Hi Bill,

I recently purchased a Swarovski 10x42 SLC, which is a dream and in my opinion as fine a set of binocs as any on the market. They were a good buy at $1K, but still rather expensive for your budget.

May I suggest that you take a look at Mirakel Optical's website:
http://www.mirakeloptical.com/SZspecial.html

The owner, Dan, is perhaps the most experienced repair guy around. I've had interesting discussions with him about the Bushnell Legend series, which he feels are remarkable optics for the money. They are waterproof, fogproof, and focus to four feet (which beats my Swaros by about 8 ft.). Per what Curtis said, he personally checks the alignment of each pair he sells, and guarantees it for a year. Not bad in a price range of $249-269. They come 8x32, 8x42, and 10x42. I'd recommend the 10x for birding the California north coast, which is also what I do.

Whatever you decide on ... make sure to wear them out!

elkcub

John Traynor said:
Arthur,

This bin won't address your starry night requirements!

John,

I am quite cognizant that my astronomical needs are not congruent with my bird watching needs, but there are binoculars which have utility for both pastimes, even though they may not be ideal for both. Such a binocular would be of little interest to Billmell, as its cost exceeds his budget.

Happy observation of nature,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Last edited:
billmell said:
Hi. I am new to BirdForum. I am a casual bird watcher on Califonia's north coast (in the redwoods with ocean 1/2- mile away) near Mendocino and on the southwest coast of Mexico. My main specs are simple: near focus 2m or less; list price under $300 with discounts to under $200; and, really good images. Thanks. Billmell

Bill:

If you don't need a waterproof binocular, and you can live with $300, I would highly recommend the Nikon E2, 8x30. It has a view that competes with the best, a very wide field of view, and good ergonomics, though it looks weird. For sheer quality of view, it is probably the best in that price range. It is descended from an old line of great Nikon porro-prism binos, the pinnacle of which is the closely related Nikon Superior E 8 x32. I am sure that many other contributors to this forum can sing the praises of this underrated binocular. It won't focus to 2 meters, but 3 should suffice, right? I use Nikon Superior E and Leica Ultravid, both of which focus to about ten feet, and have never needed a binocular that focused closer.

It is hard to get good quality out of a $200-$300 bino. Stick with porros in this price range. Check with the Romanian IOR lineup or Steiner for quality porros. I prefer roofs and you can start getting descent ones in the $500 range and feel more comfortable in the $700 and up range.

ranburr

Bill,

I've recently handled every one of these roof prism bins. They are not the best, but are well worth having in your price range. The Noble 8x42 is the most expensive at $269. It rivals my Leica Ultravids for center sharpness.

Nikon Sporter 8x36
Bushnell Legend 8x32
Celestron Noble 8x32
Celestron Noble 8x42

I'll try to post a little more this evening.

Bill Atwood said:
Bill,

I've recently handled every one of these roof prism bins. They are not the best, but are well worth having in your price range. The Noble 8x42 is the most expensive at $269. It rivals my Leica Ultravids for center sharpness.

Nikon Sporter 8x36
Bushnell Legend 8x32
Celestron Noble 8x32
Celestron Noble 8x42

I'll try to post a little more this evening.

In my opinion, the only one of these worth considering would be the Bushnell Legend. I have never seen a pair of Celestrons that came anywhere near the quality to a Leica. I think if you had looked through that Celestron a little bit longer, you would have had one doozy of a headache. The Nikons are of very low quality and are not waterproof. The Bushnells actually share some components with higher-end binos and are ok for the money. I would not want any of them myself.

ranburr

I have the Nikon Sporters WHICH ARE WELL ABOVE Wal Mart Bushnells and most under 100 dollar porros, but I was also impressed by Swift 8x that a local Wild Birds carries, similar price. The Swifts, roof prisms also, claim to be water proof, Nikons water resistant. Both around $300.

The Swifts were similar to Swift 8.5x44 HCF Audubon Binoculars - 828HHS but 8x.

Last edited:
Hi Bill over here a optics firm have open days at nature reserves and often bring trade in equipment which can be bought at good prices.

Good luck in finding something that suits your needs.

Regards Cuddy.

ranburr said:
In my opinion, the only one of these worth considering would be the Bushnell Legend. I have never seen a pair of Celestrons that came anywhere near the quality to a Leica. I think if you had looked through that Celestron a little bit longer, you would have had one doozy of a headache. The Nikons are of very low quality and are not waterproof. The Bushnells actually share some components with higher-end binos and are ok for the money. I would not want any of them myself.

I used the Celestron Noble 8x42 for most of Columbus Day afternoon and had no problems. Got a lifer Nelson's Sharp-tail Sparrow with it. They are not as sharp as my Ultravids, but come very close. I viewed the splitting of cattail leaves from their stalks from about 300 ft to compare. I had to look thru each bin 2-3 times to come to the conclusion that the Leica had better center sharpness.

In the past when I have looked through Eagle Optics Rangers and Pentax SPs I immediately noticed the view was not as clear as the Ultravids. I did not find this to be the case with this particular pair of Celestrons.

Their light weight and smooth focus were a definite plus over the Leicas.

Last edited:
Jonathan B. said:
Bill:

If you don't need a waterproof binocular, and you can live with $300, I would highly recommend the Nikon E2, 8x30. It has a view that competes with the best, a very wide field of view, and good ergonomics, though it looks weird. For sheer quality of view, it is probably the best in that price range. It is descended from an old line of great Nikon porro-prism binos, the pinnacle of which is the closely related Nikon Superior E 8 x32. I am sure that many other contributors to this forum can sing the praises of this underrated binocular. It won't focus to 2 meters, but 3 should suffice, right? I use Nikon Superior E and Leica Ultravid, both of which focus to about ten feet, and have never needed a binocular that focused closer.

Hi Bill,

I am one who can sing the praises of the Nikon 8x30 E2.

Purchased from Eagle Optics in January for $269, this is the best binocular value out there.

Great sharpness and color and a wide field of view.

-Adam

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful and helpful responses. I finally bought a Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42. I had tested a number of different models higher and lower models and this seemed to be the best fit. I got it on eBay for $245. everywhere else they were both arought $289. The only deficit against the 8x30 E2s seems to be a 22% narrower field of view. The Monarch have a number of features that I liked: roof-prisms; waterproof; closer focus; etc.

If I screwed up, be gentle with me.
Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back