• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Equipment observations , what do others see. (2 Viewers)

This is of course anecdotal, but I've noticed that people in my area who carry both binoculars and spotting scopes often have Swarovski or Zeiss binoculars. People with cameras and binoculars often have Swarovski or Nikon binoculars. Might be interesting to poll people here? Others birder bins I've noticed on walks are Pentax, Leica, Bushnell, Celestron and Athlon.

Tree bark is generally available (where trees grow) and has very subtle shadings and textures.

It is an admirable subject for comparison of optics, as are the lichens which grow thereon.

It also stays in place.

Wish I had thought of this earlier. I use tree bark, (and moss and lichens) on the oaks and pines in my yard to get the most precise diopter adjustment and it works for me better than anything else in this regard. Never thought to do that to specifically compare the different color shades/renditions of various bins but it's a good idea.

In terms of equipment I see in casual use, mostly cameras and a few medium sized lower priced roofs. When at local birding hot spots my ADD has me focused exclusively on the birds.

Mike

Wish I had thought of this earlier. I use tree bark, (and moss and lichens) on the oaks and pines in my yard to get the most precise diopter adjustment and it works for me better than anything else in this regard. Never thought to do that to specifically compare the different color shades/renditions of various bins but it's a good idea.

In terms of equipment I see in casual use, mostly cameras and a few medium sized lower priced roofs. When at local birding hot spots my ADD has me focused exclusively on the birds.

Mike
Perfect for setting diopter.

I was out birding today with a group of 13...I casually took a count of bin manufacturers and this is the result:

Swarovski---3
Zeiss---2 (Terra and Conquest)
Leica---1 (Trinovid)
Nikon---1 (Monarch 5)
Vortex---1
Vanguard---2. (Endeavor)
Meopta---1 (Meostar, my pair today)
Unknowns---2

Later on I went up to a pond to view some birds and I saw these:

Swarovski---2 (NL and ?)
Nikon---1 (Monarch)

I think I will continue this and while some of the people will be counted twice as I move forward, there are lots of people who join in and I will get a good number of who has what, to satisfy part of this discussion. :)

To update on one of the unknowns, I now find it is an Opticron Verano...I have one of these and they are nice bins for sure....

Swarovski---3
Leica---1 (Trinovid)
Nikon---1 (Monarch 5)
Vortex---1
Vanguard---2. (Endeavor)
Opticron Verano--1
Unknowns---1

Swarovski---2 (NL and ?)
Nikon---1 (Monarch)

To update on one of the unknowns, I now find it is an Opticron Verano...I have one of these and they are nice bins for sure....

Swarovski---3
Leica---1 (Trinovid)
Nikon---1 (Monarch 5)
Vortex---1
Vanguard---2. (Endeavor)
Opticron Verano--1
Unknowns---1

Swarovski---2 (NL and ?)
Nikon---1 (Monarch)
Déjà vu

If any of you can, you need to make the effort to go to "The Biggest Week in American Birding" at Magee Marsh on the north border of Ohio. Seriously. There will be probably hundreds of birders there and yes the birding is that good. Really it's unbelievable the number of species one can see in only a few days. There are birders there from all over the world and from all walks of life. I won't say Swarovski was the number one binocular there but it was close. It was certainly the most seen premium binocular. SVs were everywhere. You will see folks with every brand you can think of. Some buy binoculars just for this trip. Some have never even used a binocular before. Vortex was probably #2 follow closely by Nikon. Zeiss were very common with FLs and Conquest HDs and some SFs.

A6A77FC3-4D89-4413-A298-24CB268F02F4_1_201_a.heic.jpg

55596279-DE07-451D-818D-D7E53409D387_1_201_a.heic.jpg

We hike all over and I can count exactly two times I've seen anyone glassing. One was at Acadia NP in fall 2021 on Cadillac Mountain, we hiked the whole mountain and on the out on the down side there was a larger group of birders with a lot of nice stuff. Lots of spotters on tripods, high mag binos on tripods, lots of Swaro logos. We overheard them saying there was some rare hawk there at the time but didn't know what and we weren't really into it heavily at the time. We also had 3 dogs with us so getting really close to the group with expensive glass on tripods wasn't feasible. Then more recently some lady hiker ended up close enough to us on Blood Mountain that I could see she was glassing but couldn't tell what, maybe Zeiss or Leica judging by the aesthetics.

We see a good amount of people with cameras though. Most are not professional cameras though nor do they have telephoto lenses. I'd say 90% of the people we come across are just people out on a hike with no interest in much of anything else. They'll see us observing wild life and keep on going with no interest in trying to see or find out what we're stopped looking at.

We hike all over and I can count exactly two times I've seen anyone glassing. One was at Acadia NP in fall 2021 on Cadillac Mountain, we hiked the whole mountain and on the out on the down side there was a larger group of birders with a lot of nice stuff. Lots of spotters on tripods, high mag binos on tripods, lots of Swaro logos. We overheard them saying there was some rare hawk there at the time but didn't know what and we weren't really into it heavily at the time. We also had 3 dogs with us so getting really close to the group with expensive glass on tripods wasn't feasible. Then more recently some lady hiker ended up close enough to us on Blood Mountain that I could see she was glassing but couldn't tell what, maybe Zeiss or Leica judging by the aesthetics.

We see a good amount of people with cameras though. Most are not professional cameras though nor do they have telephoto lenses. I'd say 90% of the people we come across are just people out on a hike with no interest in much of anything else. They'll see us observing wild life and keep on going with no interest in trying to see or find out what we're stopped looking at.
Just a thought about the bird in Acadia NP, but it could have been for the Stellar’s Sea Eagle that seemed to be very lost during 2021 & 2022.
HERE.

If any of you can, you need to make the effort to go to "The Biggest Week in American Birding" at Magee Marsh on the north border of Ohio. Seriously. There will be probably hundreds of birders there and yes the birding is that good. Really it's unbelievable the number of species one can see in only a few days. There are birders there from all over the world and from all walks of life. I won't say Swarovski was the number one binocular there but it was close. It was certainly the most seen premium binocular. SVs were everywhere. You will see folks with every brand you can think of. Some buy binoculars just for this trip. Some have never even used a binocular before. Vortex was probably #2 follow closely by Nikon. Zeiss were very common with FLs and Conquest HDs and some SFs.

A6A77FC3-4D89-4413-A298-24CB268F02F4_1_201_a.heic.jpg

55596279-DE07-451D-818D-D7E53409D387_1_201_a.heic.jpg
I am just a stones throw away from there when back at home . I was at the show last may and bought 2 pairs of NL Pure's and a 115MM Spotting Scope right inside those white tents setup at the entrance to the Marsh. I plan on going back in May again when we leave Sri lanka ..

Has anyone been to Magee that can comment on the level of craziness? I understand the viewing is spectacular, but marching in long lines of people is not appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back