• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Equipment observations , what do others see. (1 Viewer)

Paultricounty

United States
We talk a lot about what equipment people are carrying and what the commonality is , if any.

Many members talk about what birders are using in the field. Over the last few months I’ve taken notice of what the casual man and woman are carrying. I spend about an hour or so a day , three to four times a week in varying locations on the upper east coast of New York as well as the west and east coast of Florida. I visit parks, bay areas, wildlife preserves as well as beaches and parks that have areas of animal habitat.

Here’s my observations. I put them into groups, the first is the largest. The majority of the people ,75-80% give or take are carrying full frame DSLRs with large telephoto lenses, and most them don’t have binoculars.

The next group are people with smaller cameras and lenses, a good amount carry a pair of binoculars, generally an inexpensive optic.

The next group are the ones that are carrying binoculars of varying degrees of quality and sizes mostly 42mm. In this group there are 20-25% that are using spotting scopes. We could say this is the spotting scope group , who are using binoculars as their scanning optic, then moving to the spotter.

Here is where it gets interesting to me , of all the people with binoculars, the majority (80% +/-) are carrying entry level to mid grade binoculars, probably under $500 and many much less. The remaining 20% of people who are using premium binoculars are using older (15-20 year old glass) Swarovski and Zeiss binoculars are the most popular in this group, rarely do I see anybody carrying a Leica. Many of people in this group are the ones that are using spotting scopes. Not surprisingly the smallest group are the ones using the most current premium binoculars, and the Zeiss SF clearly are the most popular with Swarovski EL’s a close second. There are a lot of Nikon binoculars in the less expensive group and surprisingly lots of Vortex optics , binoculars and spotters.

I could break down what equipment is being used by age group , but to summarize in general older people are the ones with all the expensive equipment.

Paul

This observation is interesting, because I have thought that Swarovski far outsold Zeiss, but you see more Zeiss.
Only in that very small group of people with the newest premiums. Ive seen a lot of SF’s. Most of all the Swaros were old and newer ELs. Swarovski and vortex seem to be the most popular Spotters , with Nikon in there.

I see lot's of 'mid tier' binos. Nikon, Vortex, etc. I see maybe 20% older high-end (mostly Zeiss, some older Swaro). Very little Leica. Really, not that much top-tier alpha. I think a lot of experienced (generally older) birders are using <$1000 binos. Few can actually afford or rationalize $3000 for optics.

I see the vast majority being Swaro.... and that goes for more than $500:). Of whatever is left, I see a Leica or two, perhaps a bit more Zeiss (Mainly Conquests and and equal amount of SF and older HT). I see Vortex and Nikon Monarchs (never seen any other model), and toss in some oldie / goody now and then. But clearly, Swaro. I am guessing the newbies on board either have cheaper bins as they get into the hobby, and once they look around, they see everyone has a Swaro so they continue to purchase them.

next time I am out....I am going to make a point of just keeping score here! Should be fun.

At the birding hotspots near I would say it's about 50/50 visual vs photographic observers. Scopes are probably like 60% Kowa (even saw a TS1 recently) 30% swaro, 10% nikon and a pentax every now and then. Binoculars are about 10% no name junk, 15% sub $100 bushnell/nikon porro, 35% sub $500 nikon/vortex/athlon, 10% "sub alpha" mostly conquest HD and Monarch HG, 20% alpha mostly SF's but some ELs and even NLs lately. The last 10% is very random cool stuff. In the kast few months I've seen some nice vintage porros (a 7x35 rangemaster, a swift Audubon), leica B(A/N)'s (the only leicas I see), swaro 8x20b, old ziess roof models, even a couple each with a pair of B&L Custom elite 7x26.

Here in the UK, Vortex is very uncommon, probably due to the comparatively small hunting market. I visit lots of bird sanctuaries, wildlife parks, coastlines, national parks, etc., and Paul's observations seem to be pretty much replicated; the vast majority of people who carry optics seem to favour DSLR cameras.

The binoculars that I see being used by other people (those that I recognise) tend to be Nikon. I've seen one or two Zeiss and Lecia at bird sanctuaries, and the odd Swaro spotting scope, but they are pretty rare. Strangely, I don't recall ever seeing anyone using a Swaro bino at the birding places in my area, but I'm still pretty new to this hobby. I'll keep an eye out!

My local (walk out the front door) patch is generally entirely devoid of other birders. My cycleable patch is dominated by Zeiss bins and Kowa scopes with one top birder still using the venerable Leica bn.

When I end up at the what I tend to think of as premium, grandstand reserves - the likes if Titchwell in Norfolk it is mainly swaro, his and hers El and Cl being a popular one, I think it's the affluent nature of Titchwells local area.

I had an entertaining occurrence a few months back to walk into a hide at rspb lakenheath to find it full to the rafters with massive camera lenses snapping away at kingfishers and bearded tits, no room to move in there at all and I could scarcely hear the birds with the machine gun clattering of shutters.
I left pretty quick and walked round a bit and had some great non hide views of the same species and a few more using my eyes and ears. It's strange how some places are dominated by long lens DSLR's and other seem almost devoid of them.

Will

Thanks William, I got a laugh on this, you should write a humor skit for birders.

"full to the rafters with massive camera lenses snapping away at kingfishers and bearded tits, no room to move in there at all and I could scarcely hear the birds with the machine gun clattering of shutters".

At the birding hotspots near I would say it's about 50/50 visual vs photographic observers. Scopes are probably like 60% Kowa (even saw a TS1 recently) 30% swaro, 10% nikon and a pentax every now and then. Binoculars are about 10% no name junk, 15% sub $100 bushnell/nikon porro, 35% sub $500 nikon/vortex/athlon, 10% "sub alpha" mostly conquest HD and Monarch HG, 20% alpha mostly SF's but some ELs and even NLs lately. The last 10% is very random cool stuff. In the kast few months I've seen some nice vintage porros (a 7x35 rangemaster, a swift Audubon), leica B(A/N)'s (the only leicas I see), swaro 8x20b, old ziess roof models, even a couple each with a pair of B&L Custom elite 7x26.
I forgot to mention Kowa , I do see a good amount in the mix of spotters. I’ve seen one Kowa porro a while ago and have seen more Pentax binoculars than Kowa, surprisingly. Interesting that you that were seeing about the same 20% with premium glass. I have not seen one NL yet. I’d also ad 99% are all roofs. The most of any specific Binocular that I see, are the Conquests. I think it goes without saying that the majority of people who are out birding are talking pictures. I’d add the largest group are birders, most could care less about the habitats surrounding area. Very few are scenery observers, most or not looking at bridges, buildings in the distance leaves and bark on the trees.

Im probably the only one there that has four to five binoculars that I’m testing out, trying to find every little nuance of the optics and mechanics of every flavor of Binoculars. Many people come up to me and ask me what bird I’m watching , or did I see this one or that one. I generally answer honestly, and tell them I wasn’t looking at the birds, I was comparing different colorations in the tree bark. Occasionally when my wife is with me she’ll look up at the person, and say that’s what my husband spends thousands of dollars of our money on Binoculars for 😲

I will say that in all my hobbies, other than Martial Arts , birders are the friendliest group of people I’ve ever met. They will share their time and their knowledge endlessly. You get the feeling that everybody you talk to is now your friend. I think those two hobbies are very unique, birders are so passionate about their hobby that they want to share their joy and experiences. With Judo or BJJ everybody is extremely friendly because when you’re on the mat and you’re trying to choke each other, or some kind of arm lock submission , nobody wants to be with unfriendly people 😝. At my age in the 60’s , the last thing I want is to be working out with some angry person. At least with birders if someone is angry we just walk away.

Paul

I will say that in all my hobbies, other than Martial Arts , birders are the friendliest group of people I’ve ever met. They will share their time and their knowledge endlessly. You get the feeling that everybody you talk to is now your friend. I think those two hobbies are very unique, birders are so passionate about their hobby that they want to share their joy and experiences. With Judo or BJJ everybody is extremely friendly because when you’re on the mat and you’re trying to choke each other, or some kind of arm lock submission , nobody wants to be with unfriendly people 😝. At my age in the 60’s , the last thing I want is to be working out with some angry person. At least with birders if someone is angry we just walk away.
I did boxing, MMA and BJJ for several years, too, and I completely agree!

With these hobbies, people tend to go well out of their way to share their knowledge and very much enjoy sharing it.

I volunteer for the RSPB, mainly "meet and greet"
I thought about this today whilst checking membership cards and found we have a very different distribution of equipment on the Cheshire marshes.
The number of visitors sporting cameras with large lenses was fairly low, and there were fewer carrying bridge cameras.
The largest proportion were wearing binoculars which covered practically the entire spectrum from one elderly gent wearing a pair of orange NL pure (easier to see in the boot of the car young man) all the way "down" to a really scruffy pair of old nondescript porro-prism binoculars. A similar pattern was observed in the variety of telescopes being carried.
Out of 97 visitors approximately 10% were not carrying binoculars.

Here is where it gets interesting to me , of all the people with binoculars, the majority (80% +/-) are carrying entry level to mid grade binoculars, probably under $500 and many much less. The remaining 20% of people who are using premium binoculars are using older (15-20 year old glass) Swarovski and Zeiss binoculars are the most popular in this group, rarely do I see anybody carrying a Leica.
This is exactly what I see here in Massachusetts. Most of the newer birders are using Nikon Monarch 5 or Monarch 7 - like 80% of them. Of the older, more expert birders, it's older Swaro and Zeiss, SLC's and HTs, with a few NL's and SF's here and there. The pro guides most often using NL's and Swaro scopes. Vortex would be the next most common brand I see on my club tours.

And none of the serious birders want to talk about their optics! That is the strange part and where I feel different. There are slow periods and I'll make a comment like "I'm trying the 10x today" or something like that and they look at me like I'm crazy. They think about binos when they're in the store making the purchase, then forget about it for the next 10-20 years.

I will say that in all my hobbies, other than Martial Arts , birders are the friendliest group of people I’ve ever met. They will share their time and their knowledge endlessly. You get the feeling that everybody you talk to is now your friend. I think those two hobbies are very unique, birders are so passionate about their hobby that they want to share their joy and experiences.
With these hobbies, people tend to go well out of their way to share their knowledge and very much enjoy sharing it.
A-good-birder.jpg

;)

Round here off the reserves you probably see 70%+ Swarovski - ELs and CLs being very common. On Oare Marshes it's mainly Swarovski amongst the regular faces, but more varied with the guided groups and families.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back