• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cat Food - yummy! (1 Viewer)

Doug

First a confession. Despite being birders we have 2 cats. The way we stop them hunting birds in our garden is to feed them so much they have no inclination to hunt - indeed they find our duvet their favored spot. However, I put out on the lawn any cat food they don't eat and the birds love it - any flavor. Especially Blackbirds, Robins, Magpies and other meat eaters. The Magpies fill their beaks and sneak off to our neighbors flat roof to enjoy their treat.

Does anyone else feed anything unusual to their birds?

Hi Doug, I give them canned dog food and crubled up do biscuits from the bottom of the box and no complaints yet. I've also fed chopped up pork sausage (cooked) and mashed potato.

Take care

Boogs

When I worked at a Bird Observatory many moons ago (name left out to protect the not-so-innocent!) we looked after sick and injured gulls, ducks and god-knows-what else in an outdoor pen. They were fed daily with the cheapest, nastiest dog food you could ever imagine ('Chappie' etc), and they absolutely loved it. In time, they refused to eat anything else!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back