• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: North-west Greece (1 Viewer)

davidg

I'm due to spend the first couple of weeks of September in mainland Greece. The first week will be on the northen coast of the Peloponnese but the second week we intend to drive north, along the western coast and spend a couple of days near the Prespa lakes. There doesn't seem to be much info available for this part of Greece so can anyone advise where to go and what to look out for? Or perhaps point me in the direction of some relevant trip reports?

Thanks,

David

Thanks for the suggestion and I've ordered the 2nd edition of the book. Unfortunately there is little information about the western half of the mainland either in the 1st edition (which I already have) or on the website.

The places I'm most interested in are the Prespa lakes and Amvrakikos but there are other places that look interesting on the map - Lakes Trihonida and Lisimahia, for example - for which I can find nothing at all. Any information welcome.

Thanks.

David

Hi David,
There's plenty of info on Prespa, the Amvrakikos and Kalamas Delta in the second edition, which is on its way to you. Let us know if we can help further, and we'd be delighted to get a trip report from you, however brief, because these are underwatched areas. Enjoy your trip.

Hi David,
There's plenty of info on Prespa, the Amvrakikos and Kalamas Delta in the second edition, which is on its way to you. Let us know if we can help further, and we'd be delighted to get a trip report from you, however brief, because these are underwatched areas. Enjoy your trip.

Hello Hils,

It arrived today and looks excellent - lots of info, as you say. I have found one or two trip reports online but they are all quite old, hopefully I'll be able to provide something a bit more up to date! I'll post a link here once it's completed.

Thanks for your help.

David

Don't forget Tourlida , near Messalongi and a bit further west along the same coast.
Just before Tourlida take the gravel track on the left from the causeway you can drive all round the lagoon , there are some good species to be had there. Follow around to where I have labelled "stopover" see google image attached.

The place west of there( 2nd google earth image) is a little more difficult to get to but also has some good lagoon areas. view on Google earth and make your own map of the route.
Well worth calling in on way to Amvrakikos.

If you are crossing at Rio bridge area from Patras take the ferry, its cheaper than the bridge and you will if lucky get Scopoli's Shearwater.
Enjoy
ColD

Attachments

• tourlida.jpg
    tourlida.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 41
  • tourlida 2.jpg
    tourlida 2.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 33
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back