• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher (1 Viewer)

LMG

Had a super day ringing last Sunday, loads of birds. The highlight of my day was a kingfisher. I've never seen one close up - those colours are fantastic. I didn't realise the bird was so large, I thought it was a small bird. Here's a picture of it.

Attachments

• kingfisher.jpg
    kingfisher.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 870
Wow, that sure looks a lot different from the kingfishers I see here. Wouldn't want to be on the business end of that beak! Nice picture.

Wow that is a large kingfisher. A lot bigger than our belted kingfisher who by the way, are one of the toughest birds to try to get sitting still for a photo.
I'm curious as to how you capture them to do the ringing. Do you use nets?

Cracking shot LMG. Even though I must have seen these birds hundreds of times the size, using the hand as a comparison, has surprised me.

Lovely shot LMG, they do have rather large heads and bills don't they. Nicely composed with the background shot too !

kingfisher

Guarantee you it would be the highlight of my day also. What a marvelous bird and photograph capturing all his brilliant colors.

Perhaps there are some nice big fish down there ;)
The one I got at the weekend (thumbnail at top of page for the digiscoping link) was about the size of a House Sparrow (maybe a fraction larger)... I think the bill gives then a larger look to them.
Regards,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back