• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted very large perched bird of prey in County Durham, UK (3 Viewers)

Hi there, I took my dogs to Rainton Meadows Nature Park in County Durham, UK and was completely shocked to see a very large bird of prey. It was perched and these are the things I noted:
Very large - would guess over 5kg
Very upright, majestic posture
Large yellow very impressive beak
Dark brown and brown mottled chest
Very dark overall
I was so shocked by its large, majestic and unique appearance (unlike any bird of prey I’ve previously seen in the area) my first instinct was that it must be a bird that had escaped captivity!
I’m hoping someone else has had a sighting?
P.s apologies for my complete ignorance about birds - I’ve never posted before - but felt compelled by this

People routinely over-estimate weight of birds as they generally don't understand how much of the bulk is feathering or indeed how light a bird has to be to fly. Butty's Law about size also applies.

John
Yes, they also under-estimate overwintering Little Bunting aggregates on site.🤣👍

I'm going down the middle on this one. The OP says it's bigger than birds of prey she has seen there before. So yes it could be closer a la Father Ted, or it may be that she has seen Buzzards there in the past and this bird was huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back