• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Auvergne (1 Viewer)

Pau Lucio

Birdwarching Spain: Top wildlife and bird watching
I would like to start a post about this fantastic region of France which is going to be my second home for at least one year.

Last Thursday, I visited the Parc Naturel Regional des Volcans d'Auvergne and I must say that it is a very interesting birding area with breathtaking landscapes.

Short birdlist

Red Kites
Honey Buzzard
Common Buzzard
Sparrowhawk
Skylark
Water Pipit
Meadow Pipit
Yellow Wagtail
Black Redstart
Wheatear
Whinchat
Song Thrush lots migrating
Redwing lots migrating
Chiffchaff lots migrating
Goldcrest
6 Tits, including Crested, Marsh and Willow
Grey Great Shrike
Jay
Chiffchaff lots of them in active migration
Linnet
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Siskin (heard)
Crossbill

I have read that in the park there is a population of Tengmalm's Owl and Grey-headed Woodpecker. Any suggestion about where is the best spots to find these species? I was wondering if Grey partridge is also possible in the area?

Thanks for your help

PS: An interesting news about Bonelli's Eagles came out last week. A bird name "Zahara" which was bred in the breeding Center of Ardèche in France, was release in Madrid, Spain with other 5 juveniles. The thing is that this bird is now in Mauritania. It has crossed the Sahara desert, something unexpected for a resident raptor!

more info: http://www.lifebonelli.org/index.ph...era-casi-2000-km-en-africa-en-tan-solo-7-dias

Hi Pau

This sound interesting to me and I look forward to your reports from this great area of France.

Best regards

Merlin

Allier Valley

Today I have visited the Allier valley and I have done pretty well. It is a really interesting area for birds, mammals and insects.

I have seen a good number of species, but I will name just a few:

Cranes 200 approx
Canada Geese 250
Fantastic sight of Cranes and Geese flying
Greylag Geese 2
Kingfisher 2
Goshawk It has been a cracking view. The bird of the day with no doubt
Snipe
Greenshank (call)

Insects: Red Admiral Butterfly, Common darter, Banded Damselfly and Hawker, Souther maybe? to quick to see it.

Mammals: I bumped into a wild boar while I was walking in the river banks, it ran off just 12 m from me. I had heard boards are very abundant in the valley but I didn't expect to see one so close.!:t: I was told that in the river were released beavers but what I found was a Koipu. Does anyone knows if they are controled to avoid competence with beavers and otters?

To sum up, a fantastic day out.

Have a nice day

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back