• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Productive Phoenix Area spots. (1 Viewer)

NNJFB-Rob

Hello AZ birders.

I will be in Phoenix area a couple of times in November. I am looking for productive spots to bird with two to three hours to use up in an around Phoenix.

I am familiar with Papago Park / Desert Botanical Garden as well as Gilbert, and am looking for something that will probably have slightly different species. I do not really have any specific target birds in mind… but would be interested in Thrashers, Raptors and Warblers which are difficult to find or do not occur in California.

Also, have an interest in AZ Herp Species too.

Thanks!

For thrashers, check out the "thrasher spot" to the SW of Phoenix: http://www.birderfrommaricopa.com/the--thrasher--spot-at-baseline-road-salome-highway.htm. Good spot for Bendire's Thrasher, Le Conte's (maybe you've seen that one already), and Crissal is possible.

I personally didn't see Crissal Thrasher the one time I visited the thrasher spot- another good area for that species is Oak Flats campground, on Hwy 60 between Phoenix and Globe. This road passes by Boyce-Thompson Arboretum, I've never birded that spot but I see it mentioned on the local listserv a lot, it has a tendency to attract rarities including eastern warblers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back