• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

improve background,please (1 Viewer)

Reini

I took the photo of a Broad-winged Hawk in Costa Rica,but I don't like the background .There are too much different colours and too much dark and bright light.I tried to work with blur,level,brightnes,contrast ,filter....in photoshop,but I am not happy with the result.Any suggestion?I am beginner with photoshop and need tips.Thank you

Reinhild

Attachments

• Broad-winged-Hawk.jpg
    Broad-winged-Hawk.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 210
Reini said:
I took the photo of a Broad-winged Hawk in Costa Rica,but I don't like the background .There are too much different colours and too much dark and bright light.I tried to work with blur,level,brightnes,contrast ,filter....in photoshop,but I am not happy with the result.Any suggestion?I am beginner with photoshop and need tips.Thank you

Reinhild
Not sure if this is what you want have a look and let me know

Raydon

Attachments

• Broad-winged-Hawk_2.jpg
    Broad-winged-Hawk_2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 211
Thanks ,it is much better,but now it looks a little unnatural like the bird is cut or painted,not as a photo.This is what I want,that the bird stands out against the background ,but it seems the contrast with the background is too sharp???which tool have you used?
Reinhild

Reinhild The way this was done was to mask the bird and perch invert it so as the background is active then apply some gaussian blur this was done quickly but if you take a bit more time and mask accurately then feather the mask and sharpen the background or/and soften the bird you should get the effect you want

Ray

Raydon said:
Reinhild The way this was done was to mask the bird and perch invert it so as the background is active then apply some gaussian blur this was done quickly but if you take a bit more time and mask accurately then feather the mask and sharpen the background or/and soften the bird you should get the effect you want

Ray

Thank you Ray,I will try it and take the gaussian blur next time.

Reinhild

I'm learning Photoshop as well, so I took a crack at this just to improve my own skills. I used the lasso tool to pick out the background, added a 3 pixel feather, went to levels and scaled back the output level on the light end of the bar, added a bit of the gaussian blur filter, and this is what I got.

I find it's important to have a bit of feathering when changing one section relative to another to avoid that "cut-out" effect. Also don't go too drastic with any change to a background.

Hope this helps,
Scott

ps In hindsite, I should have got that little bright spot between its right primaries and body.

Last edited:
Thanks Scott for your tip .I like your improvement of my photo,no great cut-out effekt.Ray had answered,that there is to add "feather the mask" like you with the lasso tool.I didn't take notice of this button.I have to learn much more with photoshop and I am grateful for help.

Reinhild

Always worth contracting the selection (the bit you're applying the blur to) a few pixels before applying a blur, whether you feather or not... and obviously the greater the gaussian blur used, the more it will creep past the selection, so be careful.

Andy Bright said:
Always worth contracting the selection (the bit you're applying the blur to) a few pixels before applying a blur, whether you feather or not... and obviously the greater the gaussian blur used, the more it will creep past the selection, so be careful.

Thanks again
I will pay attention of this .I believe I have to exercise the work with Photoshop a good while

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back