• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three birds of Prey in Ontario, Canada today (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

I have been driving more than 500 km today to look for birds at Algonquin Park. There was not much of a bird life, but snow and the lakes was empty from birds. I could hear a few birds in the forest. But non seen.

The birding action was along the highway driving south again.

The first bird, picture #1 was sitting on a wire and the closest I get is the Juvenile Broad-winged Hawk in my field guide.

The second bird, picture #2 was spotted one hour later and first I thought it was the same species. But back home and I look at the pictures and I think it is a Falcon. And it looks like the Merlin in my field guide and I base this on the white stripe above the eye. What worries me is the white dots on the belly and the Merlin in my book have dark dots.

The third bird was a real drama, picture #3 and 3-1 I drive south and I pas a swamp with a lot of dead trees. I think I see an owl and I make a U-turn to try to get in a good position. And coming back and I confirm that it is a bird sitting on to of the dead tree.

I have to make 2 more U-turns and the position is very bad for taking pictures. I am hanging out of the window taking pictures behind me as there is trees between the road and the bird. The bird take off and I only get two very poor pictures and I have not a clue what bird it is. But based on the back and the black stripe around the wing edges I have ID this bird as a Broad-winged Hawk. Only based on the wing pattern, but this is a stab in the dark.

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 34
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 33
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 33
  • #3-1.jpg
    #3-1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 24
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back