• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heat of glovebox on bins? (1 Viewer)

stephen bosbach

I just purchased a nice old pair of Bushnell 7x26 customs and would like to use this as my "car bins" so they are always available. It gets plenty hot in the car here in central Texas in the summer. Are there any issues with heat on glues or lubricants that might compromise the bins?
Steve

Hi Stephen and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

Coming from an intense heat and humidity area like you, I would be hesitant about leaving them in the glove box during the summer months. If you must leave them in the vehicle then the trunk would be your next best although not perfect either. The interior of the car with the sun and heat coming through the windows makes for an oven effect.

I keep a small Igloo cooler in the car for my equipment like this. It makes good cover for your stuff and will keep it from overheating, especially the camera, batteries and film.

And welcome to BirdForum! Almost forgot my manners there for a sec... ;)

hello, welcome to bird forum!

i have heard of waterproof bins leaking, if they are constantly exposed to extremely high tempratures. i guess the seals expand and shrink, eventually warping them to some extent that moisture can eventually get in. the best bet as mentioned would be a cool box.

stephen bosbach said:
I just purchased a nice old pair of Bushnell 7x26 customs and would like to use this as my "car bins" so they are always available. It gets plenty hot in the car here in central Texas in the summer. Are there any issues with heat on glues or lubricants that might compromise the bins?
Steve

I wouldn't leave them anywhere really hot as the lubricants and seals will deteriorate over time. Saying that my ancient Zeiss work really smoothly in hot weather. Prolonged heat and lack of air circulation will do your bins no good though.

John

Heat on bins

Thanks for the feedback everyone and also the welcomes. My wife and I are new birders in Texas and just getting up to speed as the migrants head north through central Texas. Thanks again.
Steve

stephen bosbach said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone and also the welcomes. My wife and I are new birders in Texas and just getting up to speed as the migrants head north through central Texas. Thanks again.
Steve

Steve, The rules of BF are that everyone who posts a reply has to be invited out to Texas and given free board for two weeks and shown the birds ;)

John.

Hello Steve and welcome to Bird Forum.

Sure you'll soon bcome as addicted to this site as the rest of us...and we look forward to reading your posts about your birding days out and what you have seen.

GILL

john barclay said:
Steve, The rules of BF are that everyone who posts a reply has to be invited out to Texas and given free board for two weeks and shown the birds ;)

John.

sounds good to me B :)

Katy Penland said:
I keep a small Igloo cooler in the car for my equipment like this. It makes good cover for your stuff and will keep it from overheating, especially the camera, batteries and film.

That's a good idea Katy but do I have to keep the beer in a seperate cooler? (oh yeah-non-alcoholic beer of course)
B :)

Last edited:
Katy Penland said:
Non-alcoholic beer? What's the point? :bounce:
Well I was trying to set a good example in case kids read this but since you put it that way I might as well keep my brandy in there too.

Katy Penland said:

That is exactly what i do. I have a Coleman cooler paded with pieces cut from an old camping matress. That way, i don't have to worry about heat and shocks.

Otto McDiesel said:
That is exactly what i do. I have a Coleman cooler paded with pieces cut from an old camping matress. That way, i don't have to worry about heat and shocks.

See, this is what I should have been doing all along. Every summer, my B&L Custom Compacts go out of collimation, and I know it's because i leave em in the car and that makes them susceptible to going out of aligment with even slight bumps in the right place. I live in Tucson, Arizona -- where it gets over 100 F. in the shade most summers, and the insides of cars become furnaces.

Fortunately, there is an elderly guy at a surveying instrument repair shop here who does binocular collimation for a reasonable price. Man, I hope that guy lives another 20 years.

Do you put some sort of ice pack in with your bins, Otto? Like Blue Ice?

Tero said:
You should get water and beer proof binoculars, so they can be in the same cooler. ;)

Or just take the beer and leave the binocs at home. "Beer goggles" make everything look better. |;)|

lvn600 said:
Well I was trying to set a good example in case kids read this but since you put it that way I might as well keep my brandy in there too.

Keeping Brandy on ice?!

That's barbaric!

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back