• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bowling Green Marsh 08/02/03 (1 Viewer)

kingfisher

Scouser in exile
Rather late with this report but better late than never as they say. This is the promised report of my trip to a very special place that is Bowling Green Marsh In Topsham, Devon on Saturday 8 March.

I arrived at the hide sometime just after 9 am to check on the Godwits that are passing through the region, there were good numbers of Black Tailed Godwits and it was pleasing to see some of them were ringed, so i spent sometime making notes of the coloured rings, but i did notice as well some Bar Tailed Godwits present but only a small number. Sadly one of my favourite birds the Lapwing not a single one was to be seen. Present also were 2 of the Spoonbills which were having fun playing with some twigs in a shallow pool. After about 2 hours i was making my way down the lane to the platform when i saw a young chap watching a bird in the tree, which to my surprise turned out to be the Buff Breasted Barn Owl, we both sat in the middle of the lane soon to be joined by a few others and watched the Barn Owl every now and again the Owl would open an eye and just watch us watching him, a moment to remember for us all, after taking some photographs, i moved off to the platform and who should i bump into but Topshams little star Izzy the Glossy Ibis, by this time the rain was coming down, but this did not deter Izzy from putting on another grand display, a lovely moment again, but i am getting somewhat worried now for Izzy, as he has had now a few close shaves, and i would hate to see something happen to him.
From the platform Curlews were present in good numbers with a single Great Black Backed Gull and a fleeting glimpse of a Kingfisher, i moved back to the hide and found a Greenshank soon to be joined by a smal group of Redshanks closer inspection found a Spotted Redshank, by this time about 150 of the Black Tailed Godwits were prsent right infront of the hide giving fantastic views of these lovely birds.

Walking down the lane making my way home, i thought that BGM is looking more like a marsh in the Med area of Europe with the special birds there present now, and this very special place has now a good reputaion for pulling the birds.

Below is the list for the day, and as usual was sent to the BTO as part of the Spring Migration Watch.

Greenfinch 4
Blackbird 2
Dunnock 2
Curlew 150+
Avocet 48
Dunlin 150+
Shoveler 20
Widgeon 70+
Glossy Ibis 1
Teal 7
Herring Gull 3
Canada Goose 19
Little Egret 2
Buff Breasted Barn Owl 1
Knot 3
Black Tailed Godwits 350+
Tufted Duck 2
Pintail 4
Shellduck 28
Spoonbill 2
Bar Tailed Godwits 18
Great Black Backed Gull 1
Chaffinch 10
Robin 2
Blue Tit 3
Pochard 13
Redshank 10
Spotted Redshank 1
Ruff 1
Greylag Goose 2
C. Crow 7
Peregrine Falcon 1
Coot 200+
Moorhen 15+
Greenshank 1
Mallard 2
Black Headed Gull 9
Kingfisher 1
Buzzard 3
Pheasant 1
Starling 50+

O

Thanks for the report Kingfisher, a fine day out by the sounds of it. Your Birding Day is definitely my favourite part of the Forum, I love reading about what people see all over the world. One thing caught my eye, I’ve only ever seen 5 Curlews at one time, passing through on migration, I’d love to see 150+ at once. PS no packed lunch?

Thanks for the reply Paul, this is indeed a very fine part of the world, Curlews are responsible for my interest in birds, when i first saw them when i was about 15 years old. As for the packed lunch, well in Topsham there is a fabulous pub were the drink and food is wonderful.

Lovely report John. BGM is an excellent site and any one in that area should always put it in as part of their itinery.

The good thing about the place is that it isn't hard work as everything is never that far away from you. Both the hide and platform are sighted in excellent positions and it becomes a pleasure just standing, or sitting, whilst you watch the birds in relative comfort.

<and this very special place has now a good reputation for pulling the birds.>

Now now John, don't get carried away: LOL

Sounds like you had an excellent day out, with a great range of species and good numbers of birds. Quite a few species we don't get very often or not at all in the case of the Ibis.

48 Avocet - I have yet to see one ! May change tomorrow though as one has been sighted locally and if it's fine I'll go check it out.

Thanks for the replys John and ian, good luck tomorrow Ian hope you see your first Avocet, such a beautiful bird and so graceful, seeing 200-300 of them feeding in unison is a site to remember.

Kingfisher - thanks very much for that. As you know we have a common interest in BGM, which we both regard as our local patch, so when I can't there it's great to read about someone else's activities.

You were rewarded with a superb day, and I'm glad Izzy is alive and well.

NO NO NO NO, you are rubbing it in by saying you got the DBBO when I didn't !

As usual a great day. We are lucky to have BGM aren't we?

Andrew, we are very lucky a very special place in the most beautiful part of the country......Have you been away Andrew, not seen any postings from you for a while.......

As you will see from 'Jambo' I have been to Kenya for a cosmic birding week! Got the huge task of writing it all up. I am not keen on that.

I was expecting to dash to BGM for the Owl when I got back off the plane but alas it is not to be. Wonder where it went?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back