• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders at Shanghai, China (1 Viewer)

wuwu1277

Hi,: this is my first bird watching at Shanghai, PR China. The photo was taken on yesterday, 24 Nov 2023
Can you pls kindly advise and confirm bird ID as numbered in the photo: 1) what ID? 2) Spotted redshank? 3) black tailed godwit? 4) green-winged teal? and any other bird ID in the photo?
Thank you so much in advance

Attachments

• Waders.jpg
    Waders.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 147
The rufous duck at the second 4 is a Northern Shoveler.
Most (all?) of the other ducks do look like Green-winged Teal
The left 3 looks like Common Greenshank
Not sure about the right 3.
2 does look right for Spotted Redshank

Those will be Eurasian Common Teal most likely: Anas crecca crecca, the ones without the vertical white bar on the chest (in adult males).
Cheers
gerben

I think both features pass muster in a photo of this quality - and neither feature is always especially obvious anyway. The bill-shape doesn't strike me as dunlin.

Noted all your ID comments with many thanks. Yes, I should try again to obtain photos with better quality. But that area is just inaccessible, and allow me to take photos from far only... :( Again, thank all of you.

1 - Broad-billed sandpiper(s)?
I can see why you suggest this, but personally I think these birds are Dunlin.

Broad-billed Sand is a small bird (similar in size to a stint), whereas these look larger compared to surrounding birds. The upperparts of Broad-billed are fairly well marked, with feathers having pale fringes and darker shafts - these birds seem much plainer, more in line with Dunlin. I think head pattern is accentuated by the strong light, making the supercilium more apparent than usual for Dunlin, however the darker eyestripe is not as apparent as I'd expect for Broad-billed. And, for me, the bill length looks typical for East Asian Dunlin (remember that this varies geographically).

Finally some circumstatial reasoning: Broad-billed Sand mostly winter further south, and I think most would be beyond Shanghai by now. Dunlin is common in the area in winter.

I can see why you suggest this, but personally I think these birds are Dunlin.

Broad-billed Sand is a small bird (similar in size to a stint), whereas these look larger compared to surrounding birds. The upperparts of Broad-billed are fairly well marked, with feathers having pale fringes and darker shafts - these birds seem much plainer, more in line with Dunlin. I think head pattern is accentuated by the strong light, making the supercilium more apparent than usual for Dunlin, however the darker eyestripe is not as apparent as I'd expect for Broad-billed. And, for me, the bill length looks typical for East Asian Dunlin (remember that this varies geographically).

Finally some circumstatial reasoning: Broad-billed Sand mostly winter further south, and I think most would be beyond Shanghai by now. Dunlin is common in the area in winter.
Yes,Broad-billed very rare now in Shanghai.Dunlin fairly common.At this time of year it's not much easier to see a Broad-billed than to see a Spoon-billed Sandpiper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back